For the past two days, the water level has increased due to heavy rain and with it the has overloaded the whole bridge. In the past, this froth has also resulted in a fire causing alarm for residents and environmentalists. Blankets of foam covered the streets and the neighbourhood.
Panelists join India Today's Padmaja Joshi over a discussion on the civic mess and why is the Congress repeatedly violating the NGT (National Green Tribunal) deadlines.More news: P10-M fine instead of suspension, Uber appeals
The Bangalore Development Authority (BDA), the custodian of the lakes, has been taking steps to removed weeds and has been using high-power pumps and coir foam mattresses to stop the frothing.
The lake, one of the largest of the 262 lakes in Bengaluru, has spilled toxic foam many times in the recent past. The lake started frothing after the record rainfall on August 15 and 16, with toxic froth increasing in height. Experts have established that the frothing in the lakes is due to the discharge of sewage water containing household detergents. NGT has completely shut down 76 polluting industries around the lake on 19th April after a fire was caught on the mound of garbage leading to massive pollution in the area.More news: Marshawn Lynch speaks, won't elaborate on decision to sit for anthem
Indian Institute of Science Faculty TV Ramachandra, who has conducted extensive research on Bengaluru lakes told a newspaper that there is no solution till bureaucracy is reformed.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Thursday spoke about the toxic Bellandur Lake issue and assured that the matter will be resolved in a year or two. One of the local Jitesh said that this problem has been here for a long time, this is not the first time it happened.More news: Pentagon prepares for a war game on the Korean Peninsula
- YouTube TV is Now Available to Half the Nation and Still Growing
- Tillerson, Mattis: Military option still in play for North Korea
- College basketball teams safe after Barcelona van attack
- Guam residents fear attack after North Korea statements
- 'Toilet - Ek Prem Katha' Set To Enter 100 Crore Club By Tomorrow
- Israel's Netanyahu Faces Criticism For Delayed Reaction To Charlottesville Rally
- US, Japan discuss North Korean threat
- HPE, NASA to Send New Supercomputer Aboard SpaceX
- Why L Brands Earnings Beat Is Not Enough
- Kolkata: 23-year-old air hostess dies after falling from third floor