One dead bird each from Danville and Discovery Bay, a horse from Brentwood and four chickens from the Knightsen area have tested positive for the West Nile virus, according to the Contra Costa Mosquito and Vector Control District.
They are: Branford, Glastonbury, Greenwich, North Branford, North Stonington, Orange, Plainfield, South Windsor, Stamford, Stratford, West Haven and Westport, the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station has announced.
"This is the critical time of the year when virus activity reaches its peak in the mosquito population", said Dr. Philip Armstrong, Medical Entomologist at the CAES, in a statement.
State health officials are urging residents to take steps to protect themselves from mosquito bites amid an increase in West Nile virus activity in mosquitoes across the state. They said the other 105 traps set the same day tested negative for both West Nile and EEE. One hundred thirty one human cases of WNV illness, including three fatalities, have been diagnosed in CT residents since 2000.More news: HDFC Bank revises Savings Bank interest rate
In addition to West Nile virus, a single case of California serogroup encephalitis has occurred in Ripley County. Three of those cases resulted in fatalities.
The primary way people get West Nile virus is through the bite of an infected mosquito.
Dress in long sleeves and trousers when outdoors among mosquitoes.
Ensure door and window screens are tight-fitting and in good fix.More news: Scientists Take Significant Step Forwards In Curing Peanut Allergies
Light colors are least attractive to mosquitoes.
Apply insect repellent that contains DEET or another approved substance (e.g. picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus or IR 3535) on exposed skin when outdoors.
The CAES maintains a network of 91 mosquito-trapping stations in 72 municipalities statewide.
You can find more information on Ohio Department of Health's website.More news: Launch invitation confirms August 21 launch for Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
- NetApp Earnings Beat Views, But Guidance Light; Stock Falls
- Bairstow: England must focus on West Indies before turning attention to Ashes
- US Silica Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:SLCA) Valuation According To Analysts
- No major disappointment for Spieth after PGA flop
- Global Automotive Test Equipment Market 2017 - HORIBA, Bosch, Siemens, AVL, ABB, Meidensha
- TMC Wins Dhupguri Municipality Elections, BJP Acquires 4 Seats
- Android 18 and Android 16 confirmed playable in Dragon Ball FighterZ
- Island prepared for the worst: Guam governor
- Analyst EPS Estimates Coverage: Applied Materials, Inc. (AMAT)
- PlayStation Experience 2017 Detailed; Early Bird Tickets Now Available