Two American troopers have been executed while leading battle operations in Iraq, the USA military said Sunday, including that "underlying reports demonstrate the occurrence was not because of foe contact".
According to the statement, initial reports suggest the casualties did not come as a result of "enemy contact".More news: NCP skipped Congress party meeting, BJP says good decision
"The entire counter-ISIS Coalition sends our deepest condolences to these heroes' families, friends and teammates", said Army Lt. Gen. Stephen J. Townsend, commander of Combined Joint Task Force Operation Inherent Resolve. It did not identify the soldiers.
According to Stars & Stripes, the US -led coalition in Iraq is now in the process of taking the town of Tal Afar, which is now held by Islamic State. "We honor and mourn their loss".More news: Olympics could open North Korea -- Rex Tilley
"Two U.S. service members were killed and five injured conducting combat operations in northern Iraq, Aug. 13, 2017", the U.S. Central Command said in a statement posted on its website.
The US has over 5,000 troops in Iraq involved in the campaign against Islamic State.More news: English-fluent new Foreign Minister Kono makes worldwide debut at ASEAN gathering
A month after Iraq's Prime Minister Haider Al Abadi declared victory over ISIS in Mosul, the coalition continues to aid the Iraqi armed forces fight against ISIS in other towns throughout the country. As well as the two soldiers killed Sunday, five more Americans have been killed in the fight against IS, including two in the battle of Mosul.
- AK Steel Holding Corporation (AKS) Lifted to Hold at Zacks Investment Research
- Organisers to blame for Bolt's collapse - team-mates
- English-fluent new Foreign Minister Kono makes global debut at ASEAN gathering
- Central Intelligence Agency chief says 'nothing imminent' in US-N.Korea standoff
- Fourth Summer Signing: Mourinho Reveals The Type Of Player He Wants Bring
- Tom Cruise injured while doing a stunt for 'Mission Impossible 6'
- Fargo Public Library to host two solar eclipse events
- ASEAN, Japan, China, S. Korea agree to bolster financial cooperation
- Silitch Sells 14897 Shares of Prudential Financial, Inc. (PRU) Stock
- 5 things West Ham can do to beat Manchester United