The sheriff also said that the gangs have caused problems at the race track in the past.
Two of the men died at the scene, and the third died while being transported to a hospital.More news: Fresnans hold vigil in light of Charlottesville violence
Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth updates reporters of a triple-fatal shooting at Great Lakes Dragaway Sunday (Jason Arndt/The Report).
At least two of the three victims were from Aurora, Illinois, WDJT-TV writes.More news: Links to eclipse safety information following Amazon solar glasses recall
Journal Sentinel quoted Beth as saying that the victims were shot at "point blank" range. Officials said late Sunday that they were still investigating.
The suspect, according to witnesses, is identified as a black man in his 20s wearing a hooded sweatshirt with the sides of his head shaved.More news: Raiders Marshawn Lynch sits during anthem before Oakland-Arizona game
Beth said it is still an active investigation. The Sheriff's Department says more than 5,000 people were at the event which attracts people from Milwaukee and Chicago. "This is isolated and this is somebody who had a grudge with somebody and they came here and they really ruined a family event for people", Brian Mitchell, a Great Lakes Dragaway volunteer, said.
- Ian Narev to leave CBA
- Trump May Roll Out Probe Into China and Intellectual Property Theft
- Killed In Charlottesville Helicopter Crash Have Ties To Tennessee
- White House spokesman: "Of course" Trump's Charlottesville response "includes white supremacists"
- 'Heavy fire' in Burkina Faso restaurant attack
- Search resumes for Trevor Deely
- Trump says US considering additional sanctions on North Korea
- Trump Now Explicitly Condemns Extremist, White Supremacist, Neo-Nazi Groups At Charlottesville
- Champions Chelsea already in trouble?
- Korean shares end lower on foreign selling amid tensions over N. Korea