The season was only considered a success because of the three secondary trophies Mourinho delivered. It's always oxygen, it's happiness and confidence for them. "After 2-0 we had a period of relaxation and they created a couple of situations in the box but again (we showed) good confidence levels and desire to play until the end", he said.
View from the opposition dug-out - Slaven Bilic: "I expected more, of course, but I have to admit they were a much better side in every aspect of the game".
United scored the least goals of the seven teams to qualify for Europe from the Premier League last season at 54, 32 fewer than the highest in Tottenham. I repeat, we are not on the moon but it is a good start. Lingard and Mkhitaryan have also been used as a shadow-striker in some games last season and in pre-season.More news: Fargo Public Library to host two solar eclipse events
Matic, meanwhile, was authoritative on his league debut for United following his recent departure from Chelsea, which looks increasingly like an ill-judged decision from the champions. Last season, we were top of the league after the first match, but we finished sixth so being top of the table means nothing.
"I have never seen this league won without power and pace and a really strong spine, and it looks like United have got that", he said.
"The fact that we won the match was the most important thing".
United came close to scoring in the 18th minute, and West Ham's back line did well to stop a prone Romelu Lukaku from testing Joe Hart.More news: Olympics could open North Korea -- Rex Tilley
"I also understand that my club by doing 75% of what I initially asked, I think the club did very well so I don't think I am in a position of crying, moaning, and protesting. It was a very positive performance".
"But for me, with years and years of experience in the Premier League, my feet are on the ground and I am calm", he said. In Mourinho's last Premier League triumph, the Blues from London won it easily, trotting towards the finish line since February. "We are going to try to win the title".
And while he acknowledges that it will be a challenge to continue that happy habit in the coming campaign, Mourinho insists that Manchester United are intending to "go for it".More news: Seven Gators suspended for season opener
- Nolan Arenado Suffers Hand Injury During Rockies vs. Marlins; X-Rays Negative
- Guingamp Score Barely Believable Own Goal On Neymar PSG Debut
- Kylian Mbappe set to join PSG for £163m
- Gerrard: Mourinho is trying to turn Man Utd in Chelsea
- Vin Diesel to Star in 'Fast and Furious' Live Arena Tour
- Wall Street tumbles on North Korea worries
- Bryce Harper out indefinitely with bone bruise; no ligament damage
- Mother of Suspect Who Allegedly Plowed Into Charlottesville Protesters Speaks Out
- Rauner urges lawmakers to let his school-funding veto stand
- 17 immigrants found in south Texas 18-wheeler, police say