Matic was an integral part of Mourinho's Chelsea side which won the Premier League in 2015 and the Portuguese admitted he initially felt as though he had "no chance" of being reunited with the Serb at Old Trafford.
A double from Romelu Lukaku and goals from Paul Pogba and substitute Anthony Martial got United's league campaign off to an emphatic and memorable start.More news: It turns out deputy PM Barnaby Joyce might be a Kiwi
And as the United squad flocked to Lukaku at the corner flag, Mata made a point - quite literally - of singling out Matic's role in the goal.
Jose Mourinho: "Many times last season, we deserved to win and we didn't".
"Nemanja is top player with a top stability and we need that". They look more balanced as a team, with Matic's huge reach and omnipresence allowing others - Pogba especially - to find pockets of space further forward. I am very happy for the team and we we will have more confidence going into the next game.More news: Sharad Pawar, Going, Going, Gone? Skips Today's Big Opposition Meet
"Then this season, when I got the call that Matic wants to play for me and for Manchester United, and he can make it happen, I thought he's the flawless player for me".
Alan Pardew and Graeme Souness also weighed in on the debate and it's fair to say that all three members of the Sky Sports panel were in unanimous bemusement with regard to the midfielder's summer move.
Thoughts on Matic's performance? I thought he was outstanding today.More news: Rauner urges lawmakers to let his school-funding veto stand
"Romelu can gives us aerial threat, protect the ball and a good way out for us".
- Wall Street tumbles on North Korea worries
- Paulinho Set To Join FC Barcelona On €40 Million Transfer
- Unlucky In Love! Justin Bieber Gets Knock Back From Woman On Instagram
- Venezuela leader Maduro wants to meet Trump in NYC
- Romelu Lukaku points to the badge after opening his Manchester United account
- Lukaku, Pogba, Martial Fire Man United Past West Ham
- Kentucky mayor pushes to remove 2 Confederate statues
- 17 immigrants found in south Texas 18-wheeler, police say
- Jammu and Kashmir: Militants attack Army camp in Kupwara, one soldier injured
- Arsene Wenger admits potential 'mistake' in delaying Arsenal talks