Although some had suggested that Matic was past his best and Chelsea were doing good business by letting him go, the Serbian's performances since joining Manchester United paint a very different picture.
Mourinho's first season at Old Trafford saw United finish sixth in the English top flight, though they won the Europa League and EFL Cup.
In his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday's Premier League opener against West Ham at Old Trafford, the boss spoke at length about why Matic was his ideal signing for the Reds.More news: Markets extend losses as Korea tensions escalate
- Kishor Saun (@Kishor_13) August 13, 2017Matic and Kante was a frustrating partnership, so I and many Chelsea supporters wanted change, but in the right system he's a great option.
France striker Anthony Martial scored Manchester United's third goal before Paul Pogba wrapped up a 4-0 victory over the Hammers.
'Matic is one of those players where there are no question marks with him. He doesn't need time to adapt, he's not a young guy who came from another country, he's not somebody that needs to learn the Premier League. He's one of these players that gives me what I like in players, which is consistency. I trust that the player is going to perform, so I think he is a fantastic signing'.More news: 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Episode 5 recap: 'Eastwatch'
"In so many ways, this is now my team".
So far, so good for Jose Mourinho's side. In terms of the squad, this is my second summer transfer window and, in this complicated world of the football market, I was thinking it would take three windows.
"We are much better organised at every level - the medical department is better, the structure is better organised, the logistics are better, the training routines are better organised. So we go for it this season".More news: Did the 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Leak Confirm Rhaegar Targaryen Casting?
- Marshawn Lynch takes a seat during National Anthem
- 'Heavy fire' in Burkina Faso restaurant attack
- Arsenal set to offer bumper contract deal to Sanchez
- I wanted a hat-trick, jokes Lukaku
- USA stocks fall again on North Korea tensions
- Sheriff: 3 dead in shooting at Wis. racetrack
- War Threats Have Become Background Noise in South Korea
- Trump should have been 'much harsher' with Charlottesville statement, Scaramucci says
- Korean shares end lower on foreign selling amid tensions over N. Korea
- Links to eclipse safety information following Amazon solar glasses recall