In the end they were undone by their own mistakes, with Dale Stephens caught in possession in the lead-up to Aguero's goal and Dunk's own goal sealing their fate in a game City should have won more comfortably given their 75 percent possession. We spent, of course, but all the teams spent - except maybe Tottenham.
Brighton made rare forays into City's half and had one good chance as the interval approached.
It was a demonstration of City's ruthlessness which they will have to display against opposition teams which defend deep with men behind the ball, as Albion did on their Premier League debut.
Failing to win against the likes of Leicester, Stoke and Middlesbrough contributed to City's title charge fizzling out last term and, having once again been installed as pre-season favourites, Kompany believes new-found patience and grit make Pep Guardiola's side a greater threat.More news: Ian Narev to leave CBA
"Last season, it was the same and look what happened".
"He's a guy who likes to play, he is not afraid", Guardiola added.
"We need talent, to keep the ball, to know what you've got to do".
With the victory, City are now provisionally in second place in the EPL standings with three points, while Brighton are in the 19th spot with none.
Pep Guardiola can not fault the work rate of his Manchester City side, but wants more precision in their play.More news: Trump should have been 'much harsher' with Charlottesville statement, Scaramucci says
"Okay, we accept what the people say, we have to try to improve and improve".
He said: "We spoke about that".
Bosnia is just one of 105 nations outside the British Isles who have supplied players to the Premier League in its 25-year history. He has now scored five goals in six opening day matches for City.
He also cautioned his players about the inevitable ups and downs during the season, pointing to the shock weekend results as proof of the competitiveness of the EPL.More news: Fresnans hold vigil in light of Charlottesville violence
- Killed In Charlottesville Helicopter Crash Have Ties To Tennessee
- Markets extend losses as Korea tensions escalate
- Wall St opens higher after tepid inflation data
- White House spokesman: "Of course" Trump's Charlottesville response "includes white supremacists"
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 Episode 5 recap: 'Eastwatch'
- WR Martavis Bryant to miss Steelers' preseason opener
- USA stocks fall again on North Korea tensions
- I wanted a hat-trick, jokes Lukaku
- Marshawn Lynch takes a seat during National Anthem
- Did Trump violate Twitter's terms of service with 'locked and loaded' tweet?