According to reports, the people were found in a town near McAllen in the southern state of Texas.
A group of 17 illegal immigrants were found inside a tractor-trailer Sunday at the Flying J service station in Edinburg, as per Edinburg police.
Temperatures in Edinburg reached 100 degrees Fahrenheit (38 degrees Celsius) on Sunday.More news: Bryce Harper out indefinitely with bone bruise; no ligament damage
Officials told Fox News that the immigrants were from Guatemala, Mexico, and Romania.
A man and woman who oversaw that trailer have been detained and the U.S. Border Patrol is investigating, according to reports. Police found the trailer Sunday afternoon at a rest stop in Edinburg, Texas, after a relative in Mexico called authorities.
Other details about the incident were not released.More news: Stormy weather halts play at PGA Championship
Last month, emergency responders found dozens of people in distress inside a hot semi-trailer at a Walmart in southwest San Antonio in an apparent smuggling operation.
Officers proceeded to the location and started knocking on trailers that were in the parking lot. The driver of that trailer was charged and could face the death penalty if convicted. Ten people died after being smuggled into the country in that case from heat exhaustion.More news: 5 things West Ham can do to beat Manchester United
- Rauner urges lawmakers to let his school-funding veto stand
- Central Intelligence Agency chief: Not surprising if North Korea tests missile again
- USA soldiers killed in Iraq, 5 wounded
- Unlucky In Love! Justin Bieber Gets Knock Back From Woman On Instagram
- Organisers to blame for Bolt's collapse - team-mates
- Dodgers Come From Behind to Beat Padres
- Fargo Public Library to host two solar eclipse events
- Olympics could open North Korea -- Rex Tilley
- Pittsburgh Pirates use big third to top Toronto Blue Jays
- Seven Gators suspended for season opener