NBC29 in Charlottesville is reporter a helicopter crash in Albemarle County, near Charlottesville.
It is not known whether the crash was in any way related to violent clashes between white nationalist demonstrators and counter-protesters at a rally in Charlottesville, which left one person dead and at least 34 injured.
The helicopter went down about seven miles southwest of Charlottesville, Va.. More news: North Korea refuses to stop nuclear weapon development, threatens US over sanctions
Police say only two people were on board, and police are not saying who owned the craft.
Stay with WPXI.com and Channel 11 News at 11 p.m.as we work to find out the connection between this crash and a vehicle plowing into a crowd earlier today.
WCAV reported the crash occurred on Old Farm Road.More news: Brighton bank on surprise factor to upset City
A statement released by Virginia State Police reads: 'Shortly before 5pm today (August 12), a helicopter crashed into a wooded area near a residence on Old Farm Road. State police are on scene with Albemarle County police and fire units'. There are two confirmed fatalities.
WTVR CBS 6 News has a crew headed to the scene.More news: FS Investment Corporation (FSIC) Trades at New 52-Week High
- Anna Paquin jokes about BBC breast broadcast
- Zillow Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:Z) Rating Reiterated by Cowen and Company
- Shares hit by US-North Korea tensions
- Premier League table 2017/18
- The Spider-Man Spinoff Silver And Black Is Coming In February 2019
- Dixon and Hoddle's 60-second season preview: Man Utd
- Wunderkind Shapovalov blasts into Rogers Cup semifinals
- Bills trade Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby
- United States pushes Asian nations on North Korea
- Breaking the Precedents, Facebook Quietly Launched an App in China