He has been heavily linked with Real Madrid star Gareth Bale and £48m-rated Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic, as well as a number of full-backs, but United have been frustrated in their attempts ahead of the opening Premier League game of the season at home to West Ham on Sunday.
Neville also believes the sale will improve the players already at United, with Matic's new midfield colleagues set to benefit.
Matic won two Premier League titles, the FA Cup and the EFL Cup across two spells at Chelsea.
I can't think of a reason why Chelsea would sell him.More news: Lawsuit tossed in Taylor Swift trial, but ordeal isn't over
Jose Mourinho's men could only muster a painful 1-1 draw in this fixture last season - a result reflective of their ongoing woes at home in the Premier League last season - and cannot afford to start off in the same way on Sunday. As you know the Premier League is the main target.
His final message to us that season was simple - enjoy your summer, bask in the glory, but be prepared to work when you get back, .
Matic made his competitive debut for United, in their 2-1 Super Cup defeat by Real Madrid on Tuesday night. "But they are very experienced and they also had some chances to score another because at the end we tried to go with everything to score and they had some counter-attacks".
"There is very rarely such big transfers between champions to clubs that are challenging them and it is a odd move". We are not happy that we lost but did everything. "But we can take a lot of good things from this game". "It's very important for confidence".More news: Geopolitical Concerns Lead To Sell-Off On Wall Street
"That's our aim for this season and we have a very good squad".
Former Manchester United defender Neville didn't hold back in his criticism of Chelsea for their decision to sell an important player to their title rivals.
"I know it's hard because it's a European trophy and that's important for the club". We don't want to give away any competition.More news: Iran Majlis passes motion in response to United States sanctions
- White House: Donald Trump and Emmanuel Macron on growing North Korea's threat
- Wenger lauds stay at home match victor Giroud
- How epic dragon battle was created in "Game of Thrones"
- UNF faculty member & former UN Ambassador criticizes Trump's "fire and fury"
- Upton walk-off blast lifts Tigers over Twins
- May God reward those praying for me - Buhari says in London
- Safe Havens Benefit from Geopolitical Worries
- Groups hold peace rallies across CA after vehicle attack, violence in Charlottesville
- Arsenal boss Wenger reveals Sanchez injury layoff
- How major U.S. stock market indexes fared Thursday