The security forces used pellet guns to disperse the crowd and in the clashes seven civilians sustained pellet injuries and have been shifted to hospital for treatment.
An army man was killed and four others suffered injuries in the gunfight between militants and government forces in Awneera village of Shopian district on Saturday, police sources said. "The gunfight is still going on in the village", police said.More news: UP: CM Yogi asks madarsas to record I-Day celebrations on camera
"The militants opened fire on the search party, triggering the encounter which is underway", the sources said.
Police said more security personnel - including the police, the Army and the Central Reserve Police Force - had been rushed to the area and three more villages were brought under the extended cordon.More news: EU Slaps Sanctions On Additional North Korean Nationals
On Friday night, the militants attacked the Army's 42 Rashtriya Rifles headquarters in the forest area of Kalaroos in north-western Kupwara district, injuring a soldier, the officials said.
According to The Times of India, the encounter started on Saturday evening between terrorists and the security forces in Awneera village. Cordon-and-search operations have begun in the village.More news: Dulquer Salmaan All Set To Make His Bollywood Debut
- Broncos Derek Wolfe says he "dodged a bullet" on ankle injury
- Here's how you can see the Perseid Meteor Shower Saturday night
- North Korea refuses to stop nuclear weapon development, threatens US over sanctions
- Alexandre Lacazette scores just minutes into his Arsenal debut
- The Precision Drilling Corporation (PDS) Earns "Hold" Rating from Piper Jaffray Companies
- Jeter-Sherman to add runner-up to group
- Political tensions continue to weigh on world stocks
- Brighton bank on surprise factor to upset City
- The Spider-Man Spinoff Silver And Black Is Coming In February 2019
- Mourinho To Make 2 Changes: Predicted Man Utd XI vs West Ham