The security forces used pellet guns to disperse the crowd and in the clashes seven civilians sustained pellet injuries and have been shifted to hospital for treatment.
An army man was killed and four others suffered injuries in the gunfight between militants and government forces in Awneera village of Shopian district on Saturday, police sources said. "The gunfight is still going on in the village", police said.More news: Here's how you can see the Perseid Meteor Shower Saturday night
"The militants opened fire on the search party, triggering the encounter which is underway", the sources said.
Police said more security personnel - including the police, the Army and the Central Reserve Police Force - had been rushed to the area and three more villages were brought under the extended cordon.More news: Alexandre Lacazette scores just minutes into his Arsenal debut
On Friday night, the militants attacked the Army's 42 Rashtriya Rifles headquarters in the forest area of Kalaroos in north-western Kupwara district, injuring a soldier, the officials said.
According to The Times of India, the encounter started on Saturday evening between terrorists and the security forces in Awneera village. Cordon-and-search operations have begun in the village.More news: How did Twitter react to Arsenal versus Leicester goal fest?
- City's mega-spending is a one-off, insists Guardiola
- The Spider-Man Spinoff Silver And Black Is Coming In February 2019
- Broncos Derek Wolfe says he "dodged a bullet" on ankle injury
- Brokerages Set Noble Corporation (NYSE:NE) Target Price at $6.32
- Jeter-Sherman to add runner-up to group
- BlackRock Municipal Income Trus (NYSE:BFK) Trading Volume Significantly Higher
- Former Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray Dies at Age 74
- EU Slaps Sanctions On Additional North Korean Nationals
- Two dead after helicopter crash in Albemarle County
- Sir Mo Farah claims silver in 5000 metres at world athletics championships