North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un responded by threatening, if attacked, to strike targets in or around Guam in the western Pacific.
Trump has faced some pushback for his fiery rhetoric toward Pyongyang, with Secretary of Defense James Mattis saying the State Department is doing all in its power to "resolve this global threat through diplomatic means".
How the US would detect, try to shoot down North Korean missile
McMaster said the threat from North Korea to the world is "very, very clear".
Trump's warning came after the North Korea threatened to fire ballistic missiles over Japan towards the US Pacific island of Guam.More news: Weekend tropical outlook: A depression could develop in the Atlantic
Of Trump's "fire and fury" remarks, Mattis said: "The rhetoric is up to the president. I think we're not closer to war than a week ago", McMaster said on ABC's "This Week".
A White House statement said Trump and President Emmanuel Macron had discussed "the increasingly unsafe situation associated with North Korea's destabilising and escalatory behaviour".More news: Virginia governor to white nationalists: 'Go home ... Shame on you'
U.S. President Donald Trump and French President Emmanuel Macron spoke by phone on Saturday and agreed to work together on a crisis on the Korean Peninsula، the White House said in a statement، according to "Reuters".
North Korea has responded in kind, assuring the USA of "total defeat" in the event of a war and claiming it is preparing for an attack on the American military base in Guam in mid-August. China is the North's biggest economic partner and source of aid, but says it alone can't compel Pyongyang to end its nuclear and missile programs.More news: Scaramucci on Trump Charlottesville statement: The president "needed to be much harsher"
State-run China Central Television quoted Xi as telling Trump the "relevant parties must maintain restraint and avoid words and deeds that would exacerbate the tension on the Korean Peninsula".
- Arsenal vs. Leicester City
- Alvaro Morata scores his first goal for Chelsea in defeat to Burnley
- Team Liquid Wins The International 2017 Dota 2 Event
- Chances for Rain, Storms Continue into the Weekend
- There could be a female manager in EPL soon, feels Wenger
- NY man kills mother, sister, 3rd woman with hammer
- Hizbul Mujahideen operations commander Yasin Itoo among 3 killed in Shopian encounter
- Marshawn Lynch sits during national anthem at Raiders preseason game
- Ben Davies, Dele Alli star in Tottenham's win against Newcastle
- Taiwan concerned by United States plan for unfair trade probe against China