With only a few clouds in the forecast tonight, some of us could see a few meteors streaking across the Valley.
The bright moonlight dampened the spirits of the around 200 stargazers who had gathered at the two vantage points of Jebel Shams and Jebel Akhdar on Saturday to witness the annual "Perseids Shower" that lights up the night sky.More news: EU Slaps Sanctions On Additional North Korean Nationals
The Perseid meteor shower hits its peak this weekend in North America, with the best views available Friday and Saturday nights, but the bright moon, which turned full on Monday, is obscuring numerous fainter Perseids from view.
The Perseids are called so because the point from which they appear to hail (called the radiant) lies in the constellation Perseus.More news: Jeter-Sherman to add runner-up to group
There is only one problem. The park usually closes at sunset but members of the club will be there from 7 to 10:30 p.m.to take in the spectacle. The moon will be in the waning gibbous phase, meaning that it will be 80 percent illuminated.
Light pollution from the cities will also make it hard to see the meteors tonight.More news: UP: CM Yogi asks madarsas to record I-Day celebrations on camera
NASA meteor expert Bill Cooke says the Perseids may be the most popular meteor shower of the year, according to Space.com.
- North Korea refuses to stop nuclear weapon development, threatens US over sanctions
- The Precision Drilling Corporation (PDS) Earns "Hold" Rating from Piper Jaffray Companies
- The Spider-Man Spinoff Silver And Black Is Coming In February 2019
- Zillow Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:Z) Rating Reiterated by Cowen and Company
- United States destroyer in South China Sea violated law, harmed security
- Gorakhpur hospital deaths: Central team finds BRD Medical College 'overcrowded'
- Kris Jenner defends Life of Kylie after 'boring' criticism from fans
- Brokerages Set Noble Corporation (NYSE:NE) Target Price at $6.32
- Breaking the Precedents, Facebook Quietly Launched an App in China
- Biggest Threat to Trump's Agenda Comes from Fellow Republicans