The gunfight also left two soldiers martyred while unknown number of militants reportedly escaped from the spot.
The encounter had been going on since yesterday evening and two security personnel have lost their lives so far.
Earlier in the day, a joint cordon and search operation were conducted by the security forces, which were well planned as we trapped three terrorist in that area.More news: Trump Signs Veterans Affairs Legislation as He Condemns Violence in Charlottesville
The Army, police's SOG and CRPF had launched the operation in the hamlet, around 15 km from Shopian town, on Saturday afternoon after having inputs about the presence of militants.
"Injured police personnel have been referred to hospital", the spokesman said.
Police said the firing stopped late in the night but resumed early Sunday, when three rebels were killed.More news: Team Liquid Wins The International 2017 Dota 2 Event
"They emerged from the rubble after overnight lull and fired indiscriminately at our men".
Jammu and Kashmir police chief S.P. Vaid tweeted on the success: "One of terrorists killed today morning at Shopian is identified as Yasin Itoo; operational commander of Hizbul Mujahideen".
The slain Armymen have been identified as Tamil Nadu's Ilayaraja P, and Gawai Sumedh Waman from Maharashtra. A dozen stone-pelting protesters were injured in clashes with security forces in the area.More news: Yuvraj Singh, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja left out for SL ODIs
SRINAGAR, Indian-controlled Kashmir, Aug. 13 (Xinhua) - At least two Indian army troopers were killed and three others wounded in an ongoing fierce gunfight with militants in restive Indian-controlled Kashmir, officials said Sunday.
- Drunk American Assaulted After Giving Nazi Salute in Germany
- Singer Bruno Mars donates $1 million to victims of Flint water crisis
- Alexandre Lacazette starts for Arsenal in season curtain-raiser against Leicester
- Jason Garrett shocked by length but not suspension of Ezekiel Elliott
- Ben Davies, Dele Alli star in Tottenham's win against Newcastle
- Leaders of US, France Discuss N. Korean Issue
- English-fluent new Foreign Minister Kono makes global debut at ASEAN gathering
- 1MDB remits US$350m to IPIC as part payment of settlement
- Congress seeks UP CM Yogi Adityanath's apology over Gorakhpur deaths
- Central Intelligence Agency chief says 'nothing imminent' in US-North Korea standoff