Homemade filters and ordinary sunglasses don't provide enough protection for looking at the sun or the eclipse.
Made from an extremely opaque black polymer film containing fine carbon powder, true solar-safe lenses are created to screen out 250,000 times more visible light than would otherwise reach the naked eye, said B. Ralph Chou, a Canadian optometrist who led development of global standards for solar optics.More news: Trump Signs Veterans Affairs Legislation as He Condemns Violence in Charlottesville
Check the American Astronomical Society (AAS) Reputable Vendors of Solar Filters & Viewers link, https://eclipse.aas.org/resources/solar-filters, for a list of manufacturers and authorized dealers of eclipse glasses and handheld solar viewers that are verified to comply with ISO 12312-2, global safety standard for these products. Oak Ridge is one of the few cities in the path of totality in Tennessee.
NPS said to view the sun during the eclipse, use eclipse glasses or a handheld solar viewer.
- Be aware of harmful solar exposure. This damage can occur without any sensation of pain because the retina does not have pain receptors.More news: Steve Bannon is hurting Trump's agenda, Scaramucci says
- Visit your doctor of optometry.
The National Park Service encouraged visitors to prepare to have a safe viewing opportunity during the eclipse.More news: Chief of Staff Kelly Reviewing White House Changes
- Central Intelligence Agency chief says 'nothing imminent' in US-North Korea standoff
- Drunk American Assaulted After Giving Nazi Salute in Germany
- NCP skipped Congress party meeting, BJP says good decision
- AK Steel Holding Corporation (AKS) Lifted to Hold at Zacks Investment Research
- Four-midable Manchester United sweep West Ham aside in Premier League opener
- Jason Garrett shocked by length but not suspension of Ezekiel Elliott
- Silitch Sells 14897 Shares of Prudential Financial, Inc. (PRU) Stock
- Organisers to blame for Bolt's collapse - team-mates
- Washington Nationals vs. San Francisco Giants
- Watch Pure Michigan 400 Online