The Associated Press is reporting that a "drunken American man" was summarily slugged for giving the Nazi salute in downtown Dresden, Germany.
The incident occurred early Saturday morning, apparently after a night of drinking.
Dresden police would not give the Americans name or hometown for privacy reasons.More news: North Korea tensions mount over tough new sanctions at Manila meeting
The tourist also had the insignia of "unconstitutional organizations, which includes Nazi symbols". The tourist, who suffered minor injuries, is under investigation for violating Germany's strict laws against displaying or promoting Nazi symbols.
The American was detained by German police. According to official accounts, the unknown attacker fled the scene and is now being sought for causing bodily harm.
The tourist was heavily intoxicated and had a blood alcohol level of 0.276 percent.More news: Brexit deal not 'back door' to staying in EU: Ministers
German children give the Nazi salute. The two tourists were fined almost $600 each but were permitted to leave the country with their tour group, police said. He is wanted for questioning by Dresden police.
The incident came just a week after two Chinese tourists landed in trouble, when they were caught taking photos in front of the iconic Reichstag in Berlin, while demonstrating the prohibited Nazi salute.
But as one British paper pointed out, those who know the history of the Nazi salute should know not to do it.More news: Virginia governor to white nationalists: 'Go home ... Shame on you'
- Liverpool boss Klopp makes worrying admission about Philippe Coutinho
- 1MDB remits US$350m to IPIC as part payment of settlement
- Alvaro Morata scores his first goal for Chelsea in defeat to Burnley
- Congress seeks UP CM Yogi Adityanath's apology over Gorakhpur deaths
- Hizbul Mujahideen operations commander Yasin Itoo among 3 killed in Shopian encounter
- Alexandre Lacazette starts for Arsenal in season curtain-raiser against Leicester
- English-fluent new Foreign Minister Kono makes global debut at ASEAN gathering
- 2017-18 EPL season starts with seven-goal Arsenal-Leicester thriller
- Ben Davies, Dele Alli star in Tottenham's win against Newcastle
- Fourth Summer Signing: Mourinho Reveals The Type Of Player He Wants Bring