"Nothing is imminent. But be careful, the increased likelihood of a nuclear missile strikes the United States is a very risky threat", added the director of the u.s. central intelligence agency.
But he rejected talk of the USA being on the "cusp of nuclear war". "I've seen no intelligence that would indicate that we're in that place today".
Mike Pompeo, director of the Central Intelligence Agency.
In an interview with Fox News Sunday he added: "They're moving towards that [goal] at an ever-alarming rate".More news: Trump Signs Veterans Affairs Legislation as He Condemns Violence in Charlottesville
They said the United States and its allies can no longer afford to stand by as North Korea pushes ahead with the development of a nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missile. "They expand the envelope", he said.
H.R. McMaster, the White House national security advisor, said Trump, who alarmed many with his incendiary remarks about North Korea over the last week, had not drawn any "red line" regarding Kim's nuclear program.
Meanwhile, North Korea said on Saturday that almost 3.5 million workers, party members and soldiers volunteered to join or rejoin its army to resist new U.N. sanctions and to fight against the United States in the current geopolitical tension between Pyongyang and Washington.
North Korea warned foreign diplomats to leave Pyongyang in 2013 when it suspended work at a joint inter-Korean industrial park and threatened missile strikes on U.S. Pacific bases, notably in Guam and Hawaii. "But make no mistake about it ... the increased chance that there will be a nuclear missile in Denver is a very serious threat".More news: Washington Nationals vs. San Francisco Giants
"I am quite confident that (North Korean leader Kim Jong Un) will continue to try to develop his missile program, so it wouldn't surprise me if there was another missile test".
"He responds to adverse circumstances", he said.
"We're not closer to war than a week ago but we are closer to war than we were a decade ago", McMaster said, adding that the Trump administration is prepared to deal militarily with North Korea if necessary. "But we're taking all possible actions short of military action to resolve this very grave threat to the United States and the world", the lieutenant general said, citing diplomatic efforts, increased sanctions and increased pressure.
He said President Trump was just trying to give the country's people hope when he floated the idea on Friday that the USA would take military action after condemning Venezuelan leader Nicholas Maduro for human rights abuses and calling for him to hold "free and fair elections".More news: Child rescuer amongst 7 dead in Syria shooting
"The United States military is always locked and loaded", he said.
- Leaders of US, France Discuss N. Korean Issue
- Four-midable Manchester United sweep West Ham aside in Premier League opener
- NCP skipped Congress party meeting, BJP says good decision
- Congress seeks UP CM Yogi Adityanath's apology over Gorakhpur deaths
- Five killed in J&K gunfight
- Singer Bruno Mars donates $1 million to victims of Flint water crisis
- Alexandre Lacazette starts for Arsenal in season curtain-raiser against Leicester
- 'N Korean missiles can reach Guam in 14 minutes'
- Jason Garrett shocked by length but not suspension of Ezekiel Elliott
- Fourth Summer Signing: Mourinho Reveals The Type Of Player He Wants Bring