Arsenal fell behind twice against a tenacious Leicester City before winning 4-3, thanks to a late goal by Olivier Giroud in the opening match of the 2017-2018 English Premier League (EPL) football season here.
Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Friday night's match-winner Olivier Giroud has chose to stay at Arsenal next season, ending interest from Everton, West Ham United and Marseille.
Obviously, with this being the first game of the season, Arsenal is going to be top of the table for at least the next 12 or so hours until the rest of the Premier League plays on Saturday. Three minutes later, Leicester City equalized.
It's likely no one is more relieved with the result than Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, who kept his job after missing an invite to the Champions League for the first time in his 21-year tenure with the club and months of non-stop shouts of "WENGER OUT" from supporters.More news: Team Liquid Wins The International 2017 Dota 2 Event
Arsenal had seen nearly 75% of the ball in the first 20 minutes and Welbeck had Arsenal's best chance since Lacazette's opener.
Arsenal were piling the pressure on Leicester's back four as the visitors set up to counter, with Schmeichel being called into action to beat away Kolasinac's stinging volley.
"I prefer to be on the pitch", he said. For a home opener, Arsenal got a pretty good draw.More news: Scaramucci on Trump Charlottesville statement: The president "needed to be much harsher"
And the Jamaican worldwide believes defeat at Arsenal is nothing to worry about.
Giroud headed in the go-ahead goal in the 85th minute to make Wenger look like a genius.
Arsenal then had a penalty shout as Kolasanic's shot hit Onyine Ndidi's raised arm, but Mike Dean adjudged the Leicester man was too close to be able to react.
After a much-needed break for all involved to take a deep breath, the second half started in much quieter fashion until ten minutes into the second period.
The impressive Vardy scored his second in the 53rd minute to put Leicester in front once more, curling Riyad Mahrez's corner into the bottom far corner amid poor Arsenal marking. If you don't have access or prefer to watch in Spanish, the game is also on Telemundo Deportes en vivo.More news: Which insiders are trading Nokia Corporation (NYSE:NOK)?
- Arsenal's new €53 million man enjoys dream start to Premier League life
- Virginia governor to white nationalists: 'Go home ... Shame on you'
- Arsenal vs. Leicester City
- Gold buoyed by North Korea tensions, United States inflation data
- Trump's statements on North Korea reminiscent of Bush's preventive war doctrine
- Ben Davies, Dele Alli star in Tottenham's win against Newcastle
- Keith Ellison Says Kim Jong Un 'Acting More Responsible' Than Trump
- There could be a female manager in EPL soon, feels Wenger
- Yuvraj Singh, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ravindra Jadeja left out for SL ODIs
- Marshawn Lynch sits during national anthem at Raiders preseason game