North Korea has now launched more than a dozen missiles just this year and continues to threaten to turn the capital of South Korea into a "sea of fire".
He added, "In this case, what we have is the art of the bluff".
During his recent phone call with Trump, South Korean President Moon Jae-in stressed that "South Korea can never accept a war erupting again on the Korean Peninsula", insisting that "the North Korean nuclear issue must be resolved in a peaceful, diplomatic manner through a close coordination between South Korea and the United States".More news: 'Brangelina' still sailing through! Angelina Jolie calls off divorce from Brad Pitt
Nor can US-led United Nations sanctions on North Korea achieve an effective solution.
And it's really only - it's been less than a week since the U.N. Security Council took their actions where - these were massive sanctions. If Donald Trump is even remotely thinking of making some kind of attack on North Korea, no one on earth will be safe from the fallout - and we mean that both literally and figuratively. It was a pretty big deal because it was a unanimous vote that included Russian Federation and China. That's all preferred, is getting that to work rather than the military option.
"That would send a signal to North Korea and China that would probably do more good to avoid war than anything I can think of". As far as the president's words go, it's important for the North Koreans to know that all options are on the table for us and to re-engage with the global community to change their ways in the best interest not just of Kim Jong Un, but also of his regime and his people.More news: 5 young players ready for Premier League breakthrough
While this development represents a potential game-changer in the region, it also creates a historic opportunity for President Trump to leverage diplomacy in order to strike a deal with North Korea, thereby achieving what no other U.S. president has been able to. We're not going to contain the threat. We need to get - it's going to be tested quickly over the course of literally weeks as to whether or not China's serious. Thanks so much for your time this morning.
- Trump warns North Korea that United States is 'locked and loaded'
- North Korea talk drags global stocks lower; gold, yen rise
- Ronald Koeman confident of securing Gylfi Sigurdsson for Everton
- Clear? Cloudy? What will Canada see for the Solar Eclipse?
- Guardiola says he's not moved by talk that Man City are favourites
- Wenger tells Lacazette to use Zlatan as benchmark at Arsenal
- Guam Fires Off 'Imminent Missile Threat' Doc Amid North Korea's Threat
- Usher Hooked Up with Accuser at Days Inn Hotel Staffer Claims
- In Silicon Valley, Defense Secretary Promotes Diplomatic Solution To North Korea
- Markets Right Now: US stocks trade lower at midday