The Regina Qu'Appelle Health Region is reminding Reginans to take the necessary precautions against West Nile Virus after mosquitoes carrying the disease were found in the city.
The West Nile virus was first detected in New York City 18 years ago, and since 1999, the number of human cases has ranged from three to 47 annually.
Confirmation of the first West Nile virus positive bird means the virus is circulating between birds and mosquitoes and there is heightened risk of infection in humans. Last year, four West Nile virus positive birds were identified in El Dorado County on the western slope.More news: DMX Fails 4 Drug Tests Now on House Arrest
Human cases of West Nile happen each year in New York City, and a lot of them are identified between late July and October.
West Nile Virus has been confirmed in another western MA community.
Severe symptoms and signs may include stiff neck, sleepiness, disorientation, coma, tremors, convulsions, and paralysis.More news: Conte frustrated as Chelsea launches title defense in EPL
The goal of the mosquito surveillance project, according to the health department, is to capture and test mosquitoes in 11 traps strategically placed throughout the county. In some people, it can cause a serious and potentially fatal infection of the brain and spinal cord.
Mosquito surveillance programs are in place throughout the County. Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn.More news: Coca-Cola Company (The)'s (NYSE:KO) Hold Rating Reaffirmed at Stifel Nicolaus
- Fifth Harmony Features Convertible Cadillac DeVille in New "Angel" Music Video
- Antonio Conte 'not looking for sympathy' over size of Chelsea squad
- Discovery Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:DISCB) Closed Well Below Its 50 Day Average
- Football Is Returning As Arsenal Prepare To Welcome Leicester To The Emirates
- Why Manchester City are favorites to win the Premier League
- Wenger: Arsenal not super optimistic Alexis will sign new contract
- Antonio Conte : I never wanted Matic to leave Chelsea for United
- Conte To Start 2 New Signings: Predicted Chelsea Line-Up vs Burnley
- Denver pensioner stuck in elevator for a month found dead
- Majority thinks Russian Federation probe should include Trump finances