According to Arab News, a police officer in Long Beach forcefully removed Powell's hijab in front of other male officers and inmates. Police originally banned inmates from wearing head scarves. It was returned when her husband posted her bond, the report said.
NAIJ.com gathered that Powell was arrested during a traffic stop on outstanding warrants.
When officers went to arrest Powell, she asked them to deploy a female officer to the incident because "physical contact must be done by a woman", the lawsuit stated. Powell's husband requested a female officer handle the arrest, but the arresting officers denied the request and told Powell that she had to remove her hijab. Powell wears the hijab as part of her religious beliefs and was forced to spend the night without the covering while in custody.More news: 'Jersey Shore' Cast Reunite For E! Docuseries
Female police officers are now required to privately search and remove hijabs worn by Muslim women if necessary.
'She felt that the male officers and male inmates had seen parts of her body that they should not have seen, according to her religious beliefs'.
The Council on American-Islamic Relations announced the settlement in a press release praising Powell. She then filed a lawsuit in 2016 alleging the police department had violated her First Amendment rights and the settlement was approved this week and is to be paid by the local municipal authority.More news: Crash at CT airport kills instructor, injures 2
After Powell's suit was filed, a police spokesperson confirmed that "during the booking process Powell's hijab was removed and placed into her property bag where it was secured". The act "protects individuals, houses of worship, and other religious institutions from discrimination in zoning and landmarking laws", according to the Department of Justice.
Assistant City Attorney, Monte Machit said, "The city made a decision to settle because we viewed the claims by her as meritorious".More news: As Trump Threatens, US Negotiates With North Korea
- Craig Shakespeare expects Danny Drinkwater to stay at Leicester this summer
- Marvel's Avengers 4 Is Now Filming!!
- Healthcare Realty Trust Incorporated (HR) has a Market value of 3.7 Billion
- Rep. Engel Compares Trump To Kim Jong Un
- Former FSU K Roberto Aguayo Released by Bucs
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola: Premier League spending is unsustainable
- Destiny 2 Competitive Multiplayer Trailer Shows Off New Moves
- Wenger 'relieved' Giroud has chose to stay
- Jamie Carragher insists signing Virgil van Dijk won't solve Liverpool's defensive woes
- Trump tells Calvo he's behind Guam "1000%"