An estimated $28.3 trillion worth of homes, businesses and infrastructure in the 18 Atlantic coastal states are vulnerable to hurricane strikes.
The updated outlook is based on the current and evolving atmospheric and oceanic conditions, the most recent model predictions, and pre-and early-season storm activity. Averaging all major tropical season forecasts yields 15 named storms, 7 hurricanes, and 3 major hurricanes. The agency's expected number of five to nine hurricanes overall is unchanged. Typically, we are awaiting our third named storm at this point of the season with the sixth named storm forming a month down the road in early September. The 2017 hurricane season officially began June 1 and ends November 30. The numbers announced on Wednesday include the season activity to-date.
The waters are 'much warmer than average, about one to two degrees Fahrenheit warmer than average, and there is high confidence that this warmth will persist, ' said Gerry Bell, NOAA's lead hurricane season forecaster, during a conference call with reporters.More news: Mourinho predicts seven-way fight for Premier League title
Forecasters now say there is a 60 percent chance of an above-normal season.
Also, there is significantly less likelihood that the weather phenomenon known as El Nino will form.
"At this time, the more likely scenario is for the tropical system to stay offshore", AccuWeather meteorologist Dan Kottlowski said in a report.More news: Why Manchester City are favorites to win the Premier League
Forecasters said hurricane-force winds extended up to 35 miles from the center of the storm and tropical storm-force winds extended up to 150 miles. Schools are frequently used as storm shelters in Mexico.
Franklin strengthened into the first hurricane of the Atlantic season Wednesday as it neared Mexico's central Gulf coast, heading for an overnight landfall that would be its second on Mexican territory in three days.More news: Texas House tentatively passes bill increasing penalties for mail-in ballot fraud
- Antonio Conte 'not looking for sympathy' over size of Chelsea squad
- Fifth Harmony Features Convertible Cadillac DeVille in New "Angel" Music Video
- Crazy Theory Suggests That Earth Might Get Hit By Planet Nibiru Soon
- Myles Garrett: It's time to show you can play with big boys
- Shocker: Nadal loses to 18 year old in Rogers Cup
- Manchester United vs West Ham: Potential XI with three at the back
- Football Is Returning As Arsenal Prepare To Welcome Leicester To The Emirates
- Discovery Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ:DISCB) Closed Well Below Its 50 Day Average
- Wenger: Arsenal not super optimistic Alexis will sign new contract
- Denver pensioner stuck in elevator for a month found dead