Sunday, 17 December 2017
Latest news
Main » United Nations decries Nigerian Army's "unauthorised" search on its Base in Maiduguri

United Nations decries Nigerian Army's "unauthorised" search on its Base in Maiduguri

12 August 2017

"The humanitarian crisis in Nigeria's north-east is one of the most severe in the world today", said Mr Kallon.

The searched raised concerns amongst members of the worldwide community with the United Nations directing it's humanitarian workers operating in Borno State to remain indoors.

"A United Nations source told Agence France-Presse that the search of the camp in Maiduguri, known as the "Red Roof", was illegal under worldwide law and may have been triggered by inaccurate information that a key leader of the Boko Haram jihadists was at the base".

According to him, the military recorded significant success in various operations conducted in the theatre in the past two weeks.

"I call upon the Government of Nigeria to provide clarification". On 10th August 2017, Theatre Command received information from one of its credible sources that some high value BHT suspects had infiltrated into Pompomari Bye Pass.

Attahiru noted that the house in question does not bear United Nations designation; we later discovered that the building housed some staff of United Nations humanitarian agency. The operation was successfully conducted as over 30 houses were searched.

More news: Heavy rains to continue over Assam, Meghalaya; flood situation to worsen

"Troops under the Operation LAFIYA DOLE neutralized several Boko Haram insurgents, made arrests and discovered a bomb making factory".

The Army, in a statement on Friday, defended its action, saying the action was part of counter-insurgency activities of its Theatre Command Operation Lafiya Dole.

In a statement signed by 7th Division spokesperson, Kingsley Samuel, the army said it had been conducting cordon and search operations in urban and rural areas within the state. This necessitated the need to intensify cordon and search in the Maiduguri metropolis and environment.

"The United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator and the Designated Official for security in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, is liaising with the Government of Nigeria".

He warned against peddling of rumours that could cause disaffection among the various ethnic and religious groups of people in the state.

The eight-year Boko Haram insurgency has driven at least two million people from their homes and nearly seven million need humanitarian assistance.

More news: United States pushes Asian nations on North Korea

The insurgency has driven at least two million people from their homes, left tens of thousands on the brink of starvation and millions more without secure access to food.

More than $650 million has been given by the worldwide community to the response this year, though agencies say more is needed to keep the crisis from worsening.

He urged the public to disregard the information that the United Nations building in Maiduguri was raided by troops.

The United Nations on Friday had halted various operations around the northeast, but following reassurances from Nigeria those resumed on Saturday, said Lundberg.

Do you ever have any question about anything you wish to ask and get answer?

Hello. Add your message here.

More news: Anna Paquin jokes about BBC breast broadcast

United Nations decries Nigerian Army's