In stoppage time of the first half, Arsenal played their lovely game to make it 2-2 on the night.
Few clubs will be able to call upon a forward with his experience and attributes as a Plan B this season. We encourage him to do that.
After undergoing solid preparation for the EPL opener, including beating Chelsea in the Community Shield, Arsenal were expected to start the season in a serene manner - score a couple of goals, make that back three look solid and pick up the three points without too much fuss.More news: Swine flu toll climbs to six in Odisha
England striker Jamie Vardy, who was heavily linked with Arsenal 12 months ago, scored a brace either side of a Danny Welbeck leveller that showed Arsenal's rearguard to be equally terrible from open play and set-piece situations.
Giroud knew he would be relegated to a bench role following the signing of Alexandre Lacazette, but he chose to stay and fight for his spot, and Wenger had high praise for his countryman's commitment.
The 35-year-old, who scored 28 goals for United last season, has been at the club during his rehabilitation and Mourinho said the Swede could feature in the second half of the season. "Yes, but we scored four goals as well and the game was of quality".
"For a first game, it was a top-quality game".More news: Trump warns North Korea against attacking Guam
"I opened the door for him at some stage as it's important for him to play but I don't want him to go", Wenger said at the post-match news conference. They love it. That's why it's great to be here. Arsenal and Everton are in the Europa League, so they have to play on Thursdays.
"Well if you were a manager and you would be on the bench when you're 3-2 down with 20 minutes to go, and you win 4-3, you're more happy than concerned".
"They had two half-chances and put them in and we had to chase again and I thought going in at 2-2 at half-time it was our advantage, but then the corner gave them the advantage again and we had to chase again".
"We were quite good last year on corners and with a bit of work we can get that out of our system", added Wenger, who has been given another two years in charge of Arsenal.More news: Trump on North Korea; Google scandal; Trouble at Snap
- Android O rumored for August 21st release
- Markets slide for third day on political tension
- Advice from an eye doctor on viewing the eclipse safely
- LG V30 tipped to launch along with a Plus variant; pricing leaked
- Missile threat is great for tourism, Trump tells Guam
- Rubio defends Trump's promise of 'fire and fury'
- North Korea says 3.5mn volunteers 'ready to retaliate against US'
- Giroud confirms Arsenal stay after opening-day victor
- East Harling murder: Man held over Peter Wrighton stabbing
- Same manager, same tactics, better players - Guardiola lays out Man City blueprint