Koeman was agitated in the dugout as sloppiness allowed the visitors to press in the dying minutes, with Shaqiri forcing an outstanding one-handed save from Pickford at the death as Everton held out for victory.
The Dutchman is also unable to call upon long-term injured trio Seamus Coleman (broken leg), Yannick Bolasie (knee) and Ramiro Funes Mori (knee), but will look to give six new squad members their Premier League bows. "If all the big ones are really strong and doing what they need, it is very hard". Koeman has already concluded Wayne Rooney's days as a striker are over and he sees the returning Evertonian in a deeper role. We must all concentrate on getting a good league run going and achieving some consistency in the Premier League.More news: Trisha Paytas hits out at housemates after QUITTING Celebrity Big Brother
The former Manchester United defender has tipped Wayne Rooney to score as well. The Toffees will be favored to collect all three points in the friendly confines of Goodison Park, but expect it to be a close contest.
Only Frank Lampard and Alan Shearer (8) have scored more goals on Premier League opening day than Rooney (7).More news: Rubio defends Trump's promise of 'fire and fury'
Stoke are embarking on their 10th consecutive Premier League season.
Gareth Barry could feature in his 21st Premier League season, a record only bettered by Ryan Giggs (22).
Newcastle United are thought to be leading the chase to entice the Scottish-born player away from Merseyside, though local reports suggest Everton will only consider a sale if their £25m valuation is met. Though he also serves fair warning that they will not drag this out until the final day, so if either Spurs or Chelsea truly want Barkley, we better get a move on. This side plays some attractive football and they have done well in the past few seasons so I am interested in seeing how they play.More news: After Bigg Boss See What Namitha Doing in Himachal Pradesh
- Insider Trading at SeaWorld Entertainment Inc?
- Markets slide for third day on political tension
- Arsenal Edge Leicester in 7-Goal Premier League Thriller
- Same manager, same tactics, better players - Guardiola lays out Man City blueprint
- Swine flu toll climbs to six in Odisha
- People used to Google 'Pochettino' - Spurs boss responds to Rose
- Mariners Log: M's fall to Angels on Segura's ninth-inning error
- Putney Bridge jogger push suspect eliminated from inquiry
- After almost two days aground, stranded freighter freed near Soo Locks
- Trump warns North Korea against attacking Guam