Don Damond hugs a neighbour after reading a statement about his fiance, Justine Damond who was fatally shot by Minneapolis police.
It should never have got her into trouble, but it led to her death - shot by the police she had called for help when she thought a stranger was being sexually assaulted behind her house.
Justine Damond, of Sydney, who was fatally shot by police in Minneapolis.
He said: "I have huge gratitude for being the one she chose".
Justine Damond was due to be married on the day she was instead farewelled
He said: "Justine my daughter was killed by a bullet fired by an agent of the state".
A banner above the bandshell read: "Move from fear and survival to fascination and creation". "I don't understand. I should have been on a plane to her wedding but we were flying to her funeral".
The memorial service was attended by hundreds of people, many wearing heart-shaped stickers and an Australian flag was displayed on the stage next to Ms Damond's picture.
Damond was engaged to be married in August.More news: Ronald Koeman confident of securing Gylfi Sigurdsson for Everton
Her family set up the Justine Damond Social Justice Fund to support causes important to her, including those promoting equal treatment for all. It shows that an agent with the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension requested permission to download data from the iPhones issued by the Minneapolis Police Department.
Justine Damond was killed after making a 911 call to report a possible rape.
Ruszczyk spoke at the memorial which took place at performance venue in Lake Harriet, southwest Minneapolis.
As Ms Damond's friends mourn their loss, the police continue to investigate just how rookie police officer Mohamed Noor came to shoot the bride-to-be dead.More news: Dean Foods Company (DF) Cut to Neutral at JP Morgan Chase & Co
He has refused to be interviewed by investigators and can not be compelled to do so.
When she went to the laneway to speak to police, officer Mohammed Noor shot her from the passenger seat.
The officers had not switched on their body cameras and now Minneapolis police are required to have them activated when they respond to calls or stop drivers.More news: Haryana stalking case: Vikas Barala sent to judicial custody till August 25
- Clear? Cloudy? What will Canada see for the Solar Eclipse?
- China slams US Navy's new 'provocation' in South China Sea
- Chelsea Must Do This To Hope To Defend Title - Alan Shearer
- Guardiola says he's not moved by talk that Man City are favourites
- Guardiola admits double injury blow ahead of Brighton clash
- USA airstrike kills several civilians in Afghanistan
- Dow plummets 205pts as Trump inflames Korea tension
- In Silicon Valley, Defense Secretary Promotes Diplomatic Solution To North Korea
- Trump warns North Korea that United States is 'locked and loaded'
- 'Brangelina' still sailing through! Angelina Jolie calls off divorce from Brad Pitt