The American Astronomical Society has a list of reputable vendors of solar filters and viewers.
The museum also plans to open its new "Buffalo in Space" science studio to coincide with the August 21 Great American Solar Eclipse.
Even binoculars and telescopes can magnify the sun's rays and become harmful to the eye, Frantz said.
Here's the deal: Glasses that are safe for directly viewing the sun must meet the standard, set by the International Organization for Standardization, and the glasses or viewer will then indicate that they are ISO 12312-2 compliant. Of course, as we're sure you've heard, there's a dark side to trying to get a glimpse of the eclipse.More news: Lawyers want Penn State live-in frat adviser to testify in pledge death
If you plan to step outside to watch the eclipse next month, experts have some words of caution.
"It's so unsafe for people to look at the sun even for brief periods of time because you can cause permanent damage to the retina - we call it solar retinopathy and it's really very close to burning a hole in the retina", said Van Gelder.
If you know of a local store selling solar eclipse glasses or solar viewers, let us know by clicking the "connect" button at the top of this story or by adding a comment below.
So, the best piece of advice the AAS has is to purchase solar viewers from vendors they recommend. But if you're in metro Atlanta, you will still be able to see 95 percent or more of a partial eclipse.More news: White House Gets a Face-Lift While Trump's Out of Town
Normal sunglasses will not protect your eyes, Frantz said.
No matter how you see it, this eclipse can change your perspective.
Eclipses happen as the moon moves between the Earth and sun, casting a shadow across whichever part of the world that spins by.
For those who aren't making the journey into the path of totality, there are still several eclipse-related events that will be held around Western New York.More news: H&R Block, Inc. (HRB), Monster Beverage Corporation (MNST)
As eclipse glasses sell out at retailers across the USA, customers are panicking as they realize that their glasses may not arrive in time for the once-in-a-lifetime event.
- Nikkei flat as North Korea fears recede; financial stocks tumble
- Bihar CM Nitish Kumar expresses grief over Buxar District Magistrate's death
- Ayodhya dispute: SC grants three months for translating historic documents
- (NASDAQ:TSLA) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc
- Barcelona eye up £72m move for Real Madrid's Marco Asensio
- Brighton & Hove Albion v Manchester City - fans' View
- Guardiola returns to Man City drawing board
- Georgia Official Calls For Criminal Investigation Into R. Kelly's Alleged Sex 'Cult'
- Asteroid to shave past earth inside moon orbit in October
- Marlins will be sold to Derek Jeter's group, report says