"You saw that with Chelsea last year - him and Kante were magnificent last year and that allowed Hazard, Fabregas, whoever else was playing that bit of freedom, and I'm hoping he'll do that for United - a bit of freedom for Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Mkhitaryan - these players really need to step up this year".
Speaking on The Debate, our new nightly show on Sky Sports Premier League, Neville said the addition of Matic "puts United in the driving seat ahead of Chelsea".
"United were crying out for a central midfielder with the qualities of Nemanja Matic".
Nemanja Matic is clearly an upgrade for Manchester United in an area that was a problem for them, especially with Michael Carrick getting older. Asked about their ambitions, Mourinho said: "Yes we can win [the Premier League]". You've got to understand what the club is all about.More news: Is this beloved Game Of Thrones character coming back from the dead?
"He brings aggression to United's midfield, which is something they've been lacking".
The 23-year-old is not the finished article, but his energy and physical presence make his ideal for the Premier League.
But doubts are creeping in over whether they have enough depth to retain their trophy as well as compete with Europe's elite in the Champions League.
"Pogba teased us past year".
"I think in the moments where they were moving more the ball, of course it was hard for us in the midfield".More news: Man City boss Pep Guardiola: Premier League spending is unsustainable
Prior to his first "official" goal for United, Lukaku had already scored three times for the club during pre-season with strikes against Real Salt Lake, Manchester City and Valerenga.
My club is doing 75% of what I initially asked very well.
On the prospect of re-signing Ibrahimovic once the 35-year-old striker has recovered, Mourinho said: "We are having conversations and discussing the possibility of him staying for the second part of the season".
"I'm not sure how good Bakayako is going to be for Chelsea, but he's going to have to be some player to get to the level of Matic".
"Chelsea are weaker than last season - no Diego Costa, no Matic - and I'm concerned for them".More news: 'Conte could walk at Chelsea' - Sutton sees trouble brewing at Stamford Bridge
- Healthcare Realty Trust Incorporated (HR) has a Market value of 3.7 Billion
- Franco-Nevada Corporation (FNV) jumped 3.58 percent in the last trading session
- Marvel's Avengers 4 Is Now Filming!!
- Samsung's next fitness device, Gear Sport, pops up in FCC filing
- Rep. Engel Compares Trump To Kim Jong Un
- Attack 'could be threat to the survival of Japan'
- Trump Pressures China On Trade; Executive Action Expected Monday
- Arsenal to make big Alexis Sanchez push
- The world's best Dota 2 players have been defeated by a bot
- Chelsea Captain Gary Cahill Sent Off Early, Blues Fall Behind