Having gone down to 10 men following Gary Cahill's red card after 15 minutes, Sam Vokes gave the away side a surprise lead, before Irish defender Stephen Ward doubled his side's advantage with a stunning half-volley from the edge of the box. Alvaro Morata, on as a second-half substitute, reduced the deficit in his first league start since a club-record move from Real Madrid for £58 million (NZ$103 million).
Any hopes of an unlikely comeback looked to have disappeared when midfielder Cesc Fabregas was red-carded in the 81st after receiving his second booking.
Asked whether he sensed the champions were vulnerable without Eden Hazard, Diego Costa, Pedro and Tiemoue Bakayoko, he added: "I don't think so".More news: Franco-Nevada Corporation (FNV) jumped 3.58 percent in the last trading session
And Conte says he isn't anxious about his squad depth. Little contact was made, but intent was enough for a sending off.
"First half better, second half not as well, but they're a good side - their physicality, they're a strong side, they press high, fast, and it can put you off kilter".
Kick-off is just under a half hour from now.More news: 'Conte could walk at Chelsea' - Sutton sees trouble brewing at Stamford Bridge
Burnley went for the fourth goal but the post kept out a 90th minute freekick as the defending champions sought an equaliser.
Nevertheless, Burnley managed to see out the closing stages to claim a famous victory at Stamford Bridge. Vokes had a goal disallowed shortly after - but it was an omen for Chelsea.
"A lot was made of our away form last season", Vokes said.
The 2017/18 Premier League season is finally under way and here's what happened on the opening Saturday...More news: U.S. stocks close lower, snapping Dow's 10-day winning streak
- Egg-sasperated Brussels ministers arrange high-level meeting over egg scandal
- Jammu and Kashmir: Woman killed in Pakistan shelling along LoC
- Man City boss Pep Guardiola: Premier League spending is unsustainable
- Navios Maritime Midstream Partn (NAP) Reached a New 52-Week High
- Rep. Engel Compares Trump To Kim Jong Un
- Attack 'could be threat to the survival of Japan'
- The world's best Dota 2 players have been defeated by a bot
- Rahul Gandhi bets on Congress win in Karnataka poll
- United States pushes Asian nations on North Korea
- PCB recalls players from England and West Indies