In the eyes of many Manchester United supporters, last season was a success as the club collected three pieces of silverware - although one of those trophies was the Community Shield.
It's not been the best pre-season for the winger, who saw his face smashed and was forced to play with a mask, and then a bad tackle in the Arsenal game injuring his ankle - and even being sent off in said game to boot.
"We got promoted and won the league, and now we're back to the Premier League".More news: (NASDAQ:TSLA) Stock Rating Reaffirmed by Oppenheimer Holdings, Inc
Diame had to choose between Premier League football with Hull - and another season in the Championship with Newcastle United.
Manager Antonio Conte does not appear to be one of those displeased with the Spanish global, who says his relationship with the Italian convinced him to leave Real Madrid. He's made history everywhere with Porto, Inter and now he can do it with Manchester United.
"I think Manchester City are the team to beat", said Manchester United great Ryan Giggs in a recent Sky Sports column. "I worked with Mourinho and I became his friend as well", he said. The arrival of 11 "important" players - as Guardiola refers to them - has handed the Spanish coach an embarrassment of riches up in attack and fresh energy throughout his squad, which now has an average age of 24.More news: HBO offered GoT hackers $250k Bitcoin 'bounty'
If they want to be the biggest club in the world - as they claim to be - United needs to be challenging for the Premier League title season in, season out.
Diame - who scored six goals in all competitions last season - retired from worldwide football in March. Maybe now Pogba will have more freedom to get forward and people will expect to see goals and assists from him on a regular basis now in the big games. "We're used to just watching the game and going away quietly, but this time around we could not leave quietly".
City still appears too dependent on Vincent Kompany, its injury-prone center back and captain, while a new holding midfielder to replace 34-year-old Yaya Toure will probably be Guardiola's priority next summer.
"It's the league I want to play in".More news: Majority thinks Russian Federation probe should include Trump finances
- Antonio Conte 'not looking for sympathy' over size of Chelsea squad
- Mourinho predicts seven-way fight for Premier League title
- Coca-Cola Company (The)'s (NYSE:KO) Hold Rating Reaffirmed at Stifel Nicolaus
- Top 25 Manchester City players of the Premier League era
- CNN's Zakaria: Trump North Korea threats 'the art of the bluff'
- Why Manchester City are favorites to win the Premier League
- Wenger: Arsenal not super optimistic Alexis will sign new contract
- Ayodhya dispute: SC grants three months for translating historic documents
- Guam has 14 minutes to alert if DPRK fires missiles
- Michael Owen predicts new signing will score in Arsenal v Leicester