In terms of software, the major aspects of the release are changes based on the upcoming Android "O" release (API 26). While the update is delayed, there is no info regarding this from Google.
According to Ruddock, Google will announce the name of the OS on August 21st, the same day as a solar eclipse. He also claims to already know the name of Android O, but said that he didn't want "to ruin the surprise". The new version comes with features that were teased with the Android O Developer Preview 3.More news: Futures lower as N.Korea tensions extend to third day
No reason was given as to why Google is planning a "spectacle" for the reveal of Android O's name. Ruddock is of the view that the official name of Android 8.0 will be declared on August 21, the day of the solar eclipse. BGR jokingly speculated that perhaps it's because the letter "O" looks like the moon.
Will it be Oreo, orange creamsicle, oatmeal cookie, or something else that starts with the letter "O"? While this is not officially confirmed by Google, it is quite shocking nonetheless. However, this update will require explicit developer approval before it gets pushed. It could be days or even weeks.More news: Inc. Has $671000 Stake in Laboratory Corporation of America Holdings (LH)
When Android O begins its official rollout, Pixel And Nexus devices will be the first in line to get the update. Pixel and Pixel XL users were hoping for something similar this year. Android's vice president of engineering, Dave Burke in a blog post added that the developer preview 4 for Android O will be the last preview version before the release of the final, stable version of Android O for consumers.
- Liberty Media Corporation - Ser (NASDAQ:FWONK) Experiences Heavier than Average Trading Volume
- Usher Hooked Up with Accuser at Days Inn Hotel Staffer Claims
- CNMI governor backs Trump's stance on North Korea
- Guardiola admits double injury blow ahead of Brighton clash
- Haryana stalking case: Vikas Barala sent to judicial custody till August 25
- Guam Fires Off 'Imminent Missile Threat' Doc Amid North Korea's Threat
- Markets Right Now: Stocks drop, led by technology companies
- Dean Foods Company (DF) Cut to Neutral at JP Morgan Chase & Co
- After Trump threats, China urges calm over North Korea
- National 811 Day reminds people to call before digging