A bomb exploded near a crowded market in the Pakistani city of Quetta on Saturday (Aug 12), killing at least 15 people, officials said, the latest attack to hit the restive southwestern province of Baluchistan.
The high intensity blast occurred in a parking lot near Pishin bus stop which is in a high security area in the provincial capital Quetta.
A spokesman for the Balochistan government, Anwar ul Haq Kakar also confirmed the toll.More news: Ben Affleck talks working with two directors on Justice League; Addresses reshoots
In August previous year, at least 74 people were killed in a suicide attack on the city's Civil Hospital, while another 60 were killed in an attack on a police academy two months later. Sources added that the number of injured could be as high as 30. He added the terrorists do not want the people to celebrate the Independence Day. ISPR said "Incendiary explosive was used in the blast due to which nearby vehicles caught fire", as per DawnNews.
The ISPR confirmed that seven civilians were among the 15 martyrs, while 25, including 15 civilians, were injured in the attack.
Security forces reached the scene and cordoned off the area. It said the injured were taken to the Combined Military Hospital where some of them were in critical condition. "At least 32 others are wounded", Dawn.com quoted Balochistan Home Minister Sarfaraz Bugti as saying. Rescue services and security forces have reached the site and are conducting rescue activities.More news: Is this beloved Game Of Thrones character coming back from the dead?
A judicial report released after an attack on the province's lawyers left more than 70 dead criticised security provisions in the region and called for increased clampdowns on extremists.
Fire fighting vehicles were able to douse the fire which had spread to multiple vehicles.
FC Hostel and the Balochistan Assembly are near the spot of the explosion and the area is categorised as sensitive.More news: Man City boss Pep Guardiola: Premier League spending is unsustainable
- Arsenal to make big Alexis Sanchez push
- Franco-Nevada Corporation (FNV) jumped 3.58 percent in the last trading session
- United States pushes Asian nations on North Korea
- Trump Pressures China On Trade; Executive Action Expected Monday
- US Muslim Wins Payout After Hijab 'Forcibly Removed' by Police
- Destiny 2 Competitive Multiplayer Trailer Shows Off New Moves
- Attack 'could be threat to the survival of Japan'
- Samsung's next fitness device, Gear Sport, pops up in FCC filing
- Dixon and Hoddle's 60-second season preview: Man Utd
- Anna Paquin jokes about BBC breast broadcast