Among the other slew of directions, the bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur also asked the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways to ensure that all fuel refilling centres in the National Capital Region (NCR) have PUC centres.
The court passed the order on a petition for stringent steps to curb air pollution.
The Supreme Court on Thursday directed the Central Government to make a database of vehicles across India and to file a reply within four weeks in connection with the air pollution matter.More news: Migrant rescue boat heading to aid of anti-migrant vessel in Mediterranean
The foremost among which is the fact that from now on Insurance companies would require you to furnish a Pollution Under Control Certificate (PUC) when you apply to renew your Insurance.
Narain is also a member of the Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control ) Authority or the EPCA, a statutory body, which had recommended the mandatory linking of PUC with vehicle insurance to ensure higher compliance.
Sunita Narain, Director General, Centre for Science and Environment (CSE), said, "In Delhi, only 23 per cent of vehicles come for PUC tests".More news: Amber Alert issued for 4-year-old boy from Jupiter
The court also directed the linking of PUC centres with an online network and data centres to prevent manual tampering.
However, the Union Ministry of Transport argued that the two requirements mentioned above (PUC Certificate and Insurance) can not be merged as vehicle insurance is a yearly affair where as a pollution certificate has to be renewed at a shorter interval. "Overall improvement in compliance will lead to lesser emissions on road", said Anumita Roychowdhury, CSE's executive director-research and advocacy.More news: Trump DC Hotel Made Massive Profits Amid Ethics Concerns
- Pep Guardiola - Manchester City squad won't need big changes in future
- Arsenal To Make Alexis Sanchez Premier League's Highest-paid Player
- Liverpool deny claims that Philippe Coutinho has handed in a transfer request
- Soundcloud Safe For Now After $170 Million Rescue Investment
- Russian Federation hopes United States will not meddle in 2018 elections - Lavrov
- Rogers Cup: Rafael Nadal Beaten, Roger Federer Through
- Pro-Dominion Diamond Corp Institutional Investors Sentiment Runs High in 2016 Q4
- Patients Treated for Chemical Release at Hospital Emergency Room
- LLC Has $211000 Stake in Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV (FCAU)
- Markel Corp Has $3790000 Position in Liberty Global PLC (LBTYA)