Deputies say the baby girl was found by a resident of the complex in Harris County at around five in the morning in a grassy area.
"I heard some crying and wining and crying, and I kept walking until I got closer to the noise, and then I look at the ground and there was a baby down there", Albert Peterson, the man who found the baby, told KHOU in Houston.
Investigators say there was a trail of blood that led them to the mother's apartment, where they found her and a man. Authorities aren't sure if he's the father. "That's just sad, for a human being to do another human being like that", Peterson told the station. I said, 'Oh, man, there is a baby right here. "She was there on the ground in the flower bed with ants". When deputies knocked on the door, the residents at first refused to answer, investigators said.More news: Key Trump administration figures shaping the North Korea debate
The 21-year-old mother is in custody and is now undergoing medical and psychological evaluations.
The mother and another person were taken into custody.
Peterson told KTRK it wasn't hard for authorities to find her because she was bleeding and had left a trail of bloody footprints on the ground.More news: Redskins LB Trent Murphy out for entire 2017 National Football League season
"Without this neighbor, we could be looking at. a whole different scene", said Deputy Thomas Gilliland. Save haven laws allow mothers in crisis to leave their newborns in a safe environment, such as a hospital or fire station, without questions or repercussions. "It's a miracle the child was found".
The baby was taken to the hospital and according to deputies, she is in good condition.
"It's like they just left the baby out there like it was trash", Baldwin told reporters from KTRK ABC13. Her family says she has no history of criminal or psychiatric issues.More news: Kenya's Elections At A Glance
It is the second infant abandonment that LifeNews has reported about this week.
- Brighton won't roll over for Man City, says Bruno
- Warning to China? USA launches Destroyer as North Korea row escalates
- Trump's threats on Obamacare payments to cause premiums spike in 2018
- No vehicle insurance renewal without PUC
- Fidget Spinners Are Catching Fire, Choking Children
- Man City's Pep Guardiola: I'm not under extra pressure this season
- 30 children dead in Gorakhpur hospital, govt orders magisterial probe
- Analysts Recommended this Stock: Antero Resources Corporation (AR)
- Analyst's Review on: Petroleo Brasileiro SA- Petrobras (PBR)
- Tata Steel pension scheme deal announced