Only the fiberglass shell looks like a Camaro, underneath, like all NASCAR racers, is a full tube chassis and lots of racing hardware.
"I think we've got opportunities at the very low end of the Camaro range and some remix of some of the V-8 options on it so we don't force people to buy all the options with a V-8, just to get a V-8", General Motors product boss Mark Reuss told Automotive News at the launch of the new NASCAR Camaro ZL1. The unique Camaro ZL1 will make its competition debut next February during Daytona Speedweeks, which kicks off the 2018 Nascar season.
Rick Hendrick takes delivery of first 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LEEnlarge
However, it is not the lone Camaro in NASCAR's top three series.
Chevrolet drivers have also achieved a record 30 Cup championships, including Jimmie Johnson in 2016.More news: Texas vehicle tumbles seven stories
Chevrolet engineers developed the body shape's aerodynamics for racing using computational fluid dynamics analysis and reduced-scale and full-scale wind-tunnel testing.
"Racers have long relied on Camaro to win races and championships in amateur and professional sports auto and drag racing, as well as the NASCAR XFINITY Series", said Jim Campbell, vice president, Performance Vehicles and Motorsports. "And as someone who's enjoyed the ZL1 on the street, I'm really looking forward to getting this new race auto on the track". The Mustang GT and Challenger R/T can be ordered with a V8 for about $4,000 less, which has Chevrolet reconsidering the available trim packages for the pony auto. Over 40 years after the ZL1 returns to the sales floor with track ready performance. Chevrolet tried to preserve the image of the Camaro Zl1 whilst designing the Cup series vehicle, but not at the cost of aerodynamic efficiency. The SS, which replaced the Impala four years ago, has won 70 MENCS races for the manufacturer.More news: 100-Year-Old Antarctic Fruitcake Is 'Almost' Edible
For 2018, V8-powered Ford Mustangs start at $35,000, and $33,000 gets you a 375-hp 2017 Dodge Challenger R/T. Dodge's closest competitor to the 455-horsepower Camaro SS, the 485-hp Challenger R/T Scat Pack, starts at $39,000.More news: Bp Plc Has $3507000 Stake in Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC)
- Cam Newton will sit out Panthers' preseason opener
- Skoda Kodiaq SUV Launched in India | Check Price, Features & Bookings
- Nordstrom, Inc. (JWN) Stake Cut by Nisa Investment Advisors LLC
- Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) Experiences Heavier than Usual Trading Volume
- China Says Investigating Baidu, Tencent, Weibo for Breaching Cyber Laws
- Syrian Kurds: Raqqa Battle Will Take at Least 'Three to Four Months'
- No Man's Sky Atlas Rises Update available now
- Britney Spears feared fan had gun during stage invasion
- Yankees OF Frazier (oblique) scratched vs. Blue Jays
- New Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte products