Newton reportedly did some light throwing at Panthers training camp on Sunday, but hadn't been throwing the week before.
Newton had surgery in March to fix a partially torn rotator cuff. His performances up until this point have been raising eyebrows both inside and out of Panthers camp.More news: No need to tell Real Madrid I'm staying, says Bale
Last year, Newton passed for 3,509 yards and 19 touchdowns, while also rushing for 359 yards and five scores, over 15 games (14 starts). He nearly certainly will not participate in the preseason opener on Wednesday, but he is still on track for Week 1. Despite not seeing much action on the field with the first-team offense, Newton has been involved with the offense. "We've got a great fan base here that really supports this football team". The 2015 NFL MVP is still recovering from off-season surgery on his rotator cuff.
Newton has not thrown a pass in live drills since complaining of soreness before last Tuesday's practice. "He really has, believe it or not", Rivera said.More news: IS use eBay, PayPal to channel money to US
Coach Ron Rivera was vague on if this is part of the team's plan for Newton or if he's had a setback.More news: No Man's Sky Atlas Rises Update available now
- Vehicle in Nawaz's rally allegedly kills young boy in Gujrat
- HTC U11 Life aka Ocean Life Press Render and Specs Leak
- Weekend Update' begins summer run
- Challenge filed in court to Australian gay marriage ballot
- Sarahah app: Top 5 things to know about internet's latest sensation
- Texas vehicle tumbles seven stories
- South Korea's military says prepared to act immediately against North Korean provocation
- 100-Year-Old Antarctic Fruitcake Is 'Almost' Edible
- NFL's ruling on Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott expected soon
- Trump declares American military 'locked and loaded'