The Perth County Health Unit says the tests on mosquitoes in a trap in the northeastern part of Mitchell came back positive for the virus.
Trapping and testing of mosquitoes in Perth County began in June.More news: JP: Rain chances remain high for Thursday
Public Health Inspector Stephanie Carlisle says this is usually the time of year the area sees positive tests.
The district has found the presence of West Nile in 34 of 3,981 samplings of mosquitos in the parish, the release said. Roadside catch basins in Stratford, St. Marys, Listowel, and Mitchell have had one round of larvicide applied, with a second round slated for early this month, officials said.
The Collin County Health Department has confirmed the county's first case of human West Nile Virus this summer. "During July-September, arboviral transmission of West Nile Virus increases dramatically".More news: Vitamin B3 can prevent miscarriages and birth defects
Symptoms for West Nile virus include fever, headache and body aches, and more serious symptoms include encephalitis, meningitis and death, according to the release.
People older than 50 are most at risk for WNV infection as are those with weakened immune systems.More news: First housemate booted out of Celebrity Big Brother not happy!
- Riz Ahmed in talks to join Venom
- Mattis warns North Korea to stand down or face 'end of regime'
- Softbank Vision Fund invests $2.5 bn in Flipkart
- Jogger Pushes Woman In Front of Bus
- 'How I Met Your Mother' Spinoff Getting Second Chance at CBS?
- Microsoft Dodges Antitrust Threat With Windows 10 Antivirus Tweaks
- How to enjoy the Perseids meteor shower in Qatar
- 700000 eggs linked to Europe contamination scare reached Britain
- PM Modi: Vice-President Hamid Ansari's family has made huge contribution to nation
- 5 clues and theories from Eastwatch trailer