Japan can intercept North Korea's ballistic missiles if Pyongyang ultimately opts to fire them towards U.S. military targets in the island of Guam in the Pacific, Kyodo cited Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera as saying. "We think it absolutely inadmissible", he stressed.
"Of course, the urgent task is to secure the military capabilities that enable us to counter the North Korean nuclear and missile provocations".
"I hope [the South Korean military] will complement the military response posture a little bit as soon as possible", Moon said, stressing the importance of what he called "self-reliant national defense".More news: Kenya election chief rejects opposition's hacking claims
South Korea has said the bilateral talks will strictly discuss bilateral and humanitarian issues, such as easing the military tension between the divided Koreas along their demarcation line and holding reunions of families here separated since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War. "He understands only force", the command said.
"I think the president just wanted to be clear to the North Korean regime that the USA has an unquestionable ability to defend itself, will defend itself and its allies".
"Noting that military tension or an armed conflict on the Korean Peninsula will not benefit any country, the NSC standing committee chose to take all necessary steps to ease tension and maintain peace under close cooperation with the United States and other key nations based on the strong joint defense readiness of South Korean and US joint forces", Park told a press briefing.More news: Lenovo K8 Note launched in India for INR 12999, features dual camera
Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesman Roh Jae-cheon told a media briefing South Korea was prepared to act immediately against any North Korean provocation, although the military had not spotted any unusual action in the North indicating provocation. Hours later, North Korea said it was examining its operational plans for attacking Guam.
The advisor also called for the community to "remember that there are defenses in place for threats such as North Korea and to continue to remain prepared for all hazards".More news: Glenn Hoddle struggling to understand Tottenham's lack of transfer activity
- Disney Paid $177 Million to Settle ABC 'Pink Slime' Case
- Invitation Home Inc. (NYSE:INVH) Releases FY17 Earnings Guidance
- US stocks slide amid heightened US-North Korea tensions
- Nawaz Sharif begins roadshow via iconic GT Road in show of strength
- Lego appoints new CEO after just eight months
- 52% of Republicans would back postponing 2020 election if Trump wanted to
- NFL to hire 21-24 full-time game officials from field of 124
- Macy's and Kohl's Slow Sales Slump, but Investors Still Spooked
- Channing Tatum goes all 'Magic Mike' in a North Carolina convenience store
- Hulu set for RuPaul drama