There are also some practices such as making donations for a good cause after an eclipse or giving away food and clothing to the needy or making donations after an eclipse. But do we really know how often do eclipses happen and when is the next eclipse of the Moon? Here are the answers to these questions in a common man's language.
During an "eclipse season" - like we're experiencing right now - a lunar eclipse occurs whenever there is a full moon and a solar eclipse occurs when there is a new moon. The sun is 865,000 miles in diameter, and the moon is just 2,000 miles across. Hence, a lunar eclipse can occur only the night of a full moon. The next lunar eclipse will be on January 31, 2018 and it will be total. That shadow is actually composed of two cone-shaped components, one nested inside the other. The Moon will exit the shadow at 9.18pm.More news: YouTube update means you can chat about videos without reading the comments
These events are easy to see, even with the unaided eye.
The entire Moon passes through Earth's umbral shadow. Monday's lunar eclipse is associated with the upcoming solar eclipse, which is to take place on August 21.More news: Charly Boy leads protest to demand for Buhari's return or resignation
Amateur and professional astronomers in the Citizen COPE project plan to record the eclipse using the same model telescopes and cameras at 68 locations along the path. You can watch the lunar eclipse with nothing more than your own two eyes. If you have a pair of binoculars, they will help magnify the view and will make the red coloration brighter and easier to see.
The partial lunar eclipse will be visible in Bulgaria tonight, Pencho Marski, a physicist at the Institute of Astronomy with the National Astronomical Observatory at the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, told FOCUS. Seven years from now in Pennsylvania, an eclipse will block 95 percent of the sun. It will last almost two hours, the best Eclipse will be seen at 21:20 local time. Partial eclipses slightly outnumber total eclipses by 7 to 6.More news: Vince Wilfork announces retirement with BBQ ad
- Hizbollah chief says ready to battle ISIL on Lebanon-Syria border
- United Technologies exploring acquisition of Rockwell Collins
- BJP gets presence in Tripura house as expelled Trinamool members join it
- Chance for heavy rain with gusty winds, hail Sunday night
- Everyone Is Losing Their Minds Over Tonight's 'Game Of Thrones' Ending
- WATCH…Malia Obama dances widly at Lollapalooza in Chicago during the Killers
- Close-up render purportedly shows Moto X4's dual-camera setup
- FX Partnering With Comcast for Ad-Free Version of Network FX+
- Arsenal claim 14th Community Shield with penalty shootout victory [GALLERY]
- Separated shoulder forces Bayley out of WWE SummerSlam match vs. Alexa Bliss