The 37-year-old striker had been without a club since leaving MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy in November 2016, where he scored 104 times in 165 appearances.
Sheringham mentioned that Keane's presence at ATK will be of benefit to the club and to its young footballers.
Apart from Tottenham, he had also previously played for Inter Milan, Leeds United, Liverpool, Celtic, among others.More news: RBS moving forward with £939m profit
He also netted 68 times in 146 appearances for Ireland before announcing his retirement from worldwide football past year. Keane has been a free agent since last November when he parted ways with the Galaxy after almost six-years at StubHub Center. The Chinese Super League saw some absolutely eye-popping mega-transfers for good players in their primes for a few recent years, but new taxes imposed on these moves have now mostly closed the league off to prominent talents from outside China. The former Republic of Ireland global could be said to have made the biggest impact of any Premier League import in MLS by far.
"His envious record as a centre forward while playing for his country Ireland, English Premier League Clubs or Major League Soccer teams is known to all football fans".
Former teammate and current coach of ATK Teddy Sheringham also spoke positively about the move.More news: Media names Etihad as plot target
Having experienced different footballing cultures in a career that has spanned 20 years at the very top, the challenge isn't over for Keane.
In announcing Keane's signing, India Super League franchise Atletico did not offer any details about his contract in Kolkata but it is likely he will represent the Bengal Tigers for the duration of the upcoming 2017-18 campaign.More news: Hilary Duff shares powerful body-positive post to Instagram
- Giants place Belt on concussion DL, call up Sandoval
- Valentino Rossi: "The 2017 MotoGP Championship is Open"
- Analysts Issue Forecasts for Kinross Gold Corporation's Q2 2017 Earnings (KGC)
- Sanchez will 'accept' he must see out Arsenal deal - Wenger
- European Central Bank deny South Africa approach for Gibson
- Arsenal and Monaco 'continue talks over £50m Thomas Lemar'
- Allmendinger hoping to duplicate lone NASCAR win
- Has Aubameyang Dropped Hint Of Barcelona Move For Dortmund Team-Mate Dembele?
- The NVIDIA Corporation (NVDA) Lowered to Hold at BidaskClub
- 'All In The Family' Creator Boycotts Kennedy Center Event Because Of Trump