Income Tax searches were conducted on Wednesday at the residences of Karnataka Power Minister D.K. Shivakumar and in a private resort outside Bengaluru where 44 Gujarat Congress MLAs have been housed, stoking a major political row that rocked Parliament and triggered cries of foul play by the Congress.
Questioning I-T sleuths accompanied by CRPF personnel coming to the resort where 44 Congress MLAs from Gujarat are lodged, he alleged that there was political vendetta behind the raids. "It is a mere coincidence", said a senior official.More news: BoM Q1 net loss widens to Rs 412cr as NPAs soar
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Mallikarjun Kharge asserted that the BJP-led Centre was resorting to IT raid in wake of the Rajya Sabha polls in Gujarat. PTI reported that Rs 5 crore was recovered during an IT raid at the Delhi residence of the Congress minister.
Shivakumar, is hosting his party's MLAs from Gujarat who have been brought to the Bengaluru resort till the day of the Rajya Sabha elections on August 8. Shivakumar's residence and the Eagleton Resort in Bengaluru. Certain investments linked to him in Singapore and few other foreign locations are also under the scanner of the department, they said.
The party has kept 43 of its legislators from Gujarat in Bangalore to prevent defections ahead of crucial Rajya Sabha election.
In a latest development, DK Shivakumar's relative's house in Mysore has been raided by the Income Tax Department officials. "The search team has no concern with the MLAs and there has been no contact with MLAs and the search team", the department said in a statement.More news: Real Madrid edges MLS Stars
The Income Tax Joint Commissioner said the search was in continuation of an investigation, which has been in progress for a considerable period of time. It said the searches were part of an evidence-gathering exercise.
The officials said the department has prepared a "panchnama" into the incident where the minister was allegedly found "tearing" pages of some loose paper sheets, when the taxmen came calling at the resort.
The party has accused BJP of poaching its lawmakers.More news: The Nuveen Asset Management LLC Sells 31759 Shares of Xerox Corporation (XRX)
- The iPhone 8's Release Date May Have Leaked Via Apple's Financials
- Dilip Kumar hospitalised, 'fine' but under observation for 2 days
- Trump signs bill sanctioning N. Korea, Russia, Iran
- Kylian Mbappé hands in transfer request amid Real Madrid & Barcelona links
- Apple may soon lose to Huawei in term of smartphone sales
- Apple's sales forecast suggests a big September iPhone launch, as usual
- Rahul Gandhi to visit flood-affected districts of north Gujarat
- Cambodia jails Australian nurse over illegal surrogacy clinic
- $0.20 EPS Expected for Spirit Realty Capital, Inc (New) (SRC)
- Tigers' Verlander on revocable waivers