The chase for Hoedt might be a clear sign that something is happening with the status of Virgil van Dijk at Southampton and that Saints are wanting to secure themselves to find a decent replacement on time.
The 26-year-old Netherlands star was rock solid at the back for the Saints in the first half of the last campaign before getting injured in the month of January.
He already has been training on his own at the club's Staplewood base while the rest of the side were on a pre-season trip to France.More news: IT raids DK Shivakumar
Southampton are determined not to lose their skipper this summer and had hoped van Dijk would accept their decision not to sell and rejoin the rest of his team-mates in training ahead of the new season next weekend.
According to Southern Daily Echo's chief sports writer Adam Leitch, "Van Dijk is understood to have told Saints there is no change in his situation, leading the club to inform him that they are also standing firm".More news: ASEAN wants talks on nonaggression pact with China soonest
There were reports circulating this week that Klopp was planning a fresh £60million bid for the player, but that has yet to materialise.
Liverpool may have abandoned their pursuit of Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk earlier this summer, but the speculation over his future and a possible move to Anfield continues.More news: Second Video Of Cops Apparently Faking Body Cam Footage Uncovered In Baltimore
Jack Stephens and Maya Yoshida have been his centre-back pairing in pre-season, while they have Poland Under 21 worldwide Jan Bednarek also.
- Etihad Airways says assisting Australian police with plane attack probe
- Tillerson Says He Disagrees With Trump on Iran Deal
- Wisconsin-based fighter jets, 200 airmen heading to South Korea
- Grandmother came into contact with flesh-eating bacteria in Myrtle Beach, family claims
- USA responds to North Korea missile test with show of force
- Could this player help Liverpool win the Premier League next season?
- Inside an 'out of control' Conor McGregor sparring session
- New Celebrity Big Brother house revealed
- Sen. McCain begins cancer treatment in Arizona
- Scaramucci Rant brings 4.4M to The New Yorker Website