Tarrant described Sessions as authentic, talkative, and thoughtful during the exchange, saying that he former senator spoke at length about his background as a lawyer and prosecutor, seeming to want to make the connection with the NOBLE leadership board.
During Tuesday's meeting, Tarrant said he told Sessions about the "the potential harm of off-the-cuff comments like those made by the president have in detracting from the legitimacy" of police and "detracting from the trust that local law enforcement and communities have". "We fully expect law enforcement around the country to behave as professionals". According to a source inside the room, Sessions noted that Trump was not a member of the profession and said he made the comments in jest, as White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders has also contended this week. "We are in this together".
Tarrant added, "Whether intentional or unintentional, it's heard around the country by the folks we're trying to build relationships with, and I believe it had an impact".More news: India blocks Fosun's Gland Pharma acquisition
Attorney General Jeff Sessions will visit Columbus on Wednesday to speak about opioid addiction.
Sessions has questioned the federal civil rights investigations that marked the Obama administration's efforts to overhaul troubled police departments, often after high-profile deadly police encounters with black men inflamed tensions and reignited debates over police-community relations.
"When you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon - you just see them thrown in, rough", Trump said.More news: Southampton reportedly after £12million-rated Dutch centre-back
Sessions' remarks come as President Donald Trump faces continued criticism for encouraging officers to treat suspected criminals more roughly, NBC News reported. "In the very neighborhoods that need proactive, community-based policing the most, we don't need to be telling police not to do their job in those communities".
He spoke dismissively of the practice of shielding the heads of handcuffed suspects as they are placed in patrol cars. "I said please don't be too nice", Trump told a crowd assembled at a community college. "I share his agenda", he said.More news: Saudi Arabia to turn Red Sea coast into luxury resorts
- The BidaskClub Lowers CMS Energy Corporation (NYSE:CMS) to Hold
- Grandmother came into contact with flesh-eating bacteria in Myrtle Beach, family claims
- Could we have a third bidder for Premier League rights by 2018?
- Liverpool not interested in Barcelona pair Andre Gomes and Rafinha
- Second Video Of Cops Apparently Faking Body Cam Footage Uncovered In Baltimore
- Toronto pulls away from White Sox — Blue Jays notebook
- Tillerson Says He Disagrees With Trump on Iran Deal
- Plane stayed on Ottawa runway for 6 hours: passenger
- IT sleuths search Karnataka minister's house, resort suite in Bengaluru
- NASCAR Monster Energy Series Predictions - Overton's 400 7/30/17