However, the IT officials clarified that the raid is conducted only on Karnataka Energy Minister DK Shivakumar and its not concerned with the Gujarat Congress MLAs staying in Eagleton Golf resort in Bengaluru.
The IT department conducted raids at the Eagleton Golf resort near Bengaluru in which the 44 Gujarat Congress MLAs are staying. "The search team has no concern with the MLAs and there has been no contact with MLAs and the search team", the tax department said in a statement.
Opposition parties such as the Trinamool Congress, Left and other outfits joined the Congress, as the anti-BJP camp tried to portray the raids as part of the government's politics of vengeance.More news: USA responds to North Korea missile test with show of force
"The use or abuse (of power) will depend on the nature of what the I-T department recovers", Jaitley said.
Finance minister Arun Jaitley told the House, "No MLA was searched, only one particular Karnataka minister was searched".
Earlier, Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi had accused the BJP in the state of horse-trading ahead of the Rajya Sabha elections scheduled for August 8.
Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 2 pm.More news: Tillerson Says He Disagrees With Trump on Iran Deal
Karnataka's energy minister DK Shivakumar is hosting legislators from Gujarat, who were shifted out of the state last week to thwart a string of defections. "It is now becoming a trend to blatantly misuse powers of the state", Anand Sharma said Rajya Sabha. He said the Gujarat MLAs were scared due to gunmen roaming in the resort's lobby.
'Attempt was made to bribe legislators in Gujarat; when everything failed, a frustrated BJP Govt now resorting to IT raids on Congress leader, ' he added.
Most Congress leaders in Karnataka also believed privately that if Shivakumar is able to ensure an Ahmed Patel win in the Rajya Sabha election, he could use this to demand a lion's share of the seats for his followers during ticket distribution in the Karnataka elections.
"This raid should not be linked with any Gujarat poll, this is on a purely economic offence", he said.More news: Scaramucci Rant brings 4.4M to The New Yorker Website
"This minister (Shivakumar) and brother were coordinating for the Gujarat MLAs".
- Sessions Speaks In Atlanta To Black Law Enforcement Group
- Grandmother came into contact with flesh-eating bacteria in Myrtle Beach, family claims
- NASCAR Monster Energy Series Predictions - Overton's 400 7/30/17
- Southampton reportedly after £12million-rated Dutch centre-back
- Plane stayed on Ottawa runway for 6 hours: passenger
- Indians' Austin Jackson makes catch of the year at Fenway Park
- Could we have a third bidder for Premier League rights by 2018?
- Honolulu Bans Pedestrians from Looking at Smartphones while Crossing Streets
- India blocks Fosun's Gland Pharma acquisition
- Adorable animated film about a gay school boy's crush goes viral