We've all heard the jokes when it's time to blow out the candles on our birthday cakes.
Scientists out of Clemson University in SC say that on average, blowing out birthday cake candles increases bacteria counts on the icing of a cake by 14 times.
Researchers slathered icing on two fake birthday cakes.More news: India's true tests still to come: Ganguly
For the study, researcher Paul Dawson and his students made fake cakes by frosting round styrofoam bases. Dawson has previously conducted food safety studies on common practices like sharing foods, double dipping [sauces] et al. They found that the icing of the cake with blown-out candles had 1400 percent more bacteria than the icing on the cake that was left alone. The pizza also got their salivary glands going. "Some people blow on the cake and they don't transfer any bacteria".
One, the agar plate method isn't the most precise way to count bacteria as they don't all grow well on them. Each colony that grew on the agar plates represented one original bacterial cell from the frosting. Some people might transfer a lot of bacteria while blowing, and others might not transfer any.
However, Dawson insists the findings should not ruin birthday parties.More news: Amazon, in sign of growth, holds job fair for United States warehouses
"It's not a big health concern in my perspective ..."
"In reality if you did this 100,000 times, then the chance of getting sick would probably be very minimal".
And two, the human mouth is home to a load of bacteria and a lot of them are completely harmless. Of course, no one wants spit on their birthday cake, but it turns out spit is only part of what we have to worry about when the tune of "Happy Birthday" fades away.More news: Donald Trump involved with son's statement about Russian meeting
However, the study notes that we're not doomed to get sick after eating cake that has been blown on.
- China issues position document on Indian border troop trespass
- Britons face airport delays due to new European Union security rules
- American Electric Power Company Inc
- Separatists call for shutdown in Kashmir over Pulwama encounter
- IS and Climate Change Identified as Top Global Threats
- Home Secretary Set For Encryption Showdown With US Tech Giants
- 'Star Wars' Episode IX takes on new scriptwriter
- Apple takes down VPN services from Chinese internet market
- 5 key questions on Trump's role in son's Russian Federation statement
- Democrats' 2018 strategy includes supporting candidates that oppose abortion