Travellers passing through Australia's airports have encountered huge lines and delays, thanks to the beefed-up security measures implemented after the foiling of an alleged terror plot.
Stricter screening of passengers and luggage at Australian airports, introduced after police foiled an alleged plot for a bomb attack on a plane, will remain in place indefinitely, Australia's immigration minister said on Monday.
One of four men arrested over a suspected terror plot to bring down a plane has been released without charge in Australia.
Speaking on the ABC, Justice Minister Michael Keenan had denied there's a heightened security risk due to the larger number of people arriving at airports at a specific time.More news: New Celebrity Big Brother house revealed
The government has refused to reveal details of the alleged plot, as media speculated that the Sydney men meant to variously plant an improvised bomb inside a meat grinder or release poisonous gas inside an aircraft.
Since the weekend, passengers have been advised to arrive at the airport two hours early for domestic flights, the extra security checks causing delays of up to 45 minutes at Sydney airport, it was also a similar story in Melbourne. REUTERS/David Gray Australian Federal Police and NSW Police officers work in the Surry Hills suburb of Sydney, Australia on Saturday, July 29, 2017.
"It may be that we need to look at the security settings at our airports, in particular our domestic airports, for an ongoing enduring period". "Travellers should be prepared for additional scrutiny at screening points", he said.
"Etihad is complying fully with the enhanced security measures at airports in Australia and monitoring the situation closely", the airline said, without giving further details.More news: Saudi Arabia to turn Red Sea coast into luxury resorts
Police previously said the men planned an attack on targets which included the AFP headquarters in Sydney, along with civilian targets.
Local media said the plot may have involved a bomb or poisonous gas.
The 2014 Lindt cafe siege in Sydney, in which the hostage-taker and two people were killed, was Australia's most deadly violence inspired by Islamic State militants.More news: Plane stayed on Ottawa runway for 6 hours: passenger
- Honolulu Bans Pedestrians from Looking at Smartphones while Crossing Streets
- India blocks Fosun's Gland Pharma acquisition
- IT sleuths search Karnataka minister's house, resort suite in Bengaluru
- Southampton reportedly after £12million-rated Dutch centre-back
- Indonesia's inflation slows in July, supporting neutral monetary policy
- Etihad Airways says assisting Australian police with plane attack probe
- Adorable animated film about a gay school boy's crush goes viral
- Second Video Of Cops Apparently Faking Body Cam Footage Uncovered In Baltimore
- IT raids DK Shivakumar
- Could this player help Liverpool win the Premier League next season?