Bradley, of Clearwater, Florida, told authorities he was unaware the immigrants were in the tractor-trailer and he was delivering the truck to a new owner, according to a statement included in the complaint. Another eight people in a less severe condition were taken to another hospital, he said.
The employee brought water to the truck in the parking lot, and then called the police who "found eight people dead in the back of that trailer", the police chief said, calling it a "horrific tragedy".
The gruesome discovery came to light on Saturday when a man from the tractor-trailer approached a Walmart employee "asking for water".More news: ED arrests Kashmiri separatist leader Shabir Shah in terror financing case
It was over 100 degree Fahrenheit (37.8 degree Celsius) in San Antonio on Sunday.
The driver of the truck, who police did not identify, has been taken into custody.
Police said while reviewing the store's surveillance video they noticed a number of cars had arrived at the store and left with some of survivors.
They did not say whether the trailer was locked when they arrived, whether the rig was used to smuggle the occupants across the border into the U.S., or where it might have been headed.More news: Brighton sign Brown from Chelsea for season-loan agreement
Bradley has denied knowing of the contents in his truck, and said he only became aware that he was transporting the victims after he exited to use the restroom.
San Antonio Police Chief William McManus calls the deaths a "human-trafficking crime".
A truck driver has been arrested after dozens of undocumented immigrants were found in the back of his vehicle.
Investigation has been initiated by the city police department. "It was a mass casualty situation for us".More news: Amazon to double London research and development as it unveils flagship office
In three previous incidents this month in San Antonio area, federal agents found 72 people, 33 people and 16 people from Mexico, Ecuador, Guatemala and El Salvador inside locked trailers.
- Bayern Munich defeat Chelsea 3 - 2 in pre-season game
- Man accused of smuggling cobras in potato chip cans
- Mark Philippoussis's father Nikolaos arrested in San Diego over child molestation allegations
- Conte explains why Kenedy was sent home from Chelsea tour
- Aboriginal musician Dr G. Yunupingu dies aged 46
- Samsung's share in Chinese smartphone market low
- Revelations Shared About Princess Diana in New HBO Documentary
- Dhawan half-century steers India to 115-1 at lunch
- ITV hit by advertising slowdown
- Top EU court says Hamas shouldn't have been taken off terror list