"Actually they missed my carry-on, so I still have my stuff", Stenson said.
Henrik Stenson started the defence of his Open title alongside arguably the greatest threat to his crown in Jordan Spieth as both registered first-hole pars on Thursday. "It is very special for me to be playing in front of the fantastic Birkdale crowds as the defending Open champion so I am going to try not to let this spoil the week in any way".More news: Chelsea-Morata, accordo raggiunto con il Real. Il comunicato
Stenson ranked as the world's 11 highest-paid golfer in 2017, with more than $14 million in earnings, according to Golf Digest's annual list.
The 41-year-old dismissed any suggestion that the house in which he and his family were staying was targeted at random as he admitted items of significant value had been taken.
"Of course, it was not the afternoon, evening that we wanted yesterday to get the news", Stenson told reporters.More news: You Can't Look At The New Portrait Of Prince George Without Smiling
However, he had been pretty open about where he was staying this week, accepting photo requests outside his private accommodation and getting picked up and dropped off in a vehicle with "The Open" logo on it. I had to get some new gear and so on.
Stenson, who claimed the incident didn't affect his play on Friday, also joked he'll be doing some investigating himself. "But all my gear is gone".
Merseyside Police has launched an investigation after cash, cards, electrical items, clothes and watches were reported stolen and CCTV, house-to-house and forensic enquiries are being carried out. That was all I was looking forward to, and that didn't happen.More news: Debutant Manley takes British Open lead, Poulter goes strong
- Iraqi envoy says India can help reconstruct Mosul
- Sean Spicer's very short term as White House press secretary, ranked
- Trump's spin doctor Anthony Scaramucci seals White House press debut with kiss
- Japan, Britain Urge China To Play Key Role In Restraining North Korea
- Cavs star Irving reportedly requests trade
- Ex-CBO directors defend against GOP attacks on ObamaCare analysis
- Trump accuses New York Times of foiling attempt to kill ISIS leader
- Eddie Alvarez: 'You're An Idiot' If You Think McGregor Can't KO Mayweather
- Anthony Scaramucci Loves All of You, Even You Hacks in the Press
- Junichi Masuda is Coming to Pokemon Go Fest