"She was quite shocked", Morjaria, who worked on the patient, told Optometry Today.
She said: "It was such a large mass".
What was it? Oh, only 17 old contact lenses stuck together.More news: MCA and Krishnarjuna Yudham: Nani announces his next two projects
In a freaky incident, an eye specialist in the United Kingdom found 27 contact lenses stuck in the eye of a woman, media reports said. Dr. Morjaria said, "She was quite shocked".
She had reportedly been wearing monthly disposable lenses for the past 35 years but did not attend regular check-ups with optometrists. Double lid eversion and fluorescein staining of the ocular surface can reveal dislocated contact lenses in the upper fornix, ' they said in a report published by The BMJ. Recently, a case surfaced about a woman who had 27 contact lenses dug in her eye and she had no idea where they were.
The doctor said she discovered a "blueish mass" of 17 lenses "bound together by mucus" before finding a further 10 contact lenses when she examined her under the microscope.
The patient's cataract surgery was postponed due to increased risk of infections, and she was treated with antibiotics.More news: Cilic ready to step up against record-chasing Federer
The 67-year-old patient was unaware that the contact lenses were missing, and later told surgeons that she thought her discomfort was due to dry eye and old age.
The American Optometric Association website said improperly used contact lenses could cause corneal abrasions, corneal edema, corneal ulcers or eye infections, which all could led to medical or surgical treatment. She had not reported specific symptoms before being taken in charge for its operation.
Care should be taken while wearing contact lenses.More news: Skydiver texts wife to say he won't pull cord when jumping
Morjaria said she chose to make the case public to raise awareness of the importance of regular check-ups with optometrists.
- Alleged Samsung Galaxy S9 with Snapdragon 840 spotted on Geekbench
- Almost 3500 Colorado voters cancel registration over Trump voter fraud probe
- Sasikala VIP treatment: DIG transferred to traffic department, JDS lambasts govt.
- OJ Simpson Parole Hearing: Nevada Officials to Decide Fate in Coming Days
- Pakistan targets ISIL in operation along Afghan border
- Korean Golfer Park Sung-hyun Wins US Women's Open
- Is Priyanka Chopra Saying That She Is In A Relationship?
- Presidential Election 2017: Himachal Pradesh Records 100 Per Cent Polling
- As protests hit Indu Sarkar, firector has a question for Rahul
- Israeli forces kill Palestinian in West Bank raid